Paypal Here - Windows 10 App and Bluetooth Chip Reader

SomebodySysop
Contributor
Contributor

Installed Paypal Here app on Windows 10 laptop w/ bluetooth.  Paired blutooth on laptop with paypal here chip reader.  I notice that the windows 10 app doesn't indicat that it supports bluetooth.

Do I have the correct app?

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

TimMusick
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations
I suppose I was doing the same thing you and others were when they installed PayPal Here on their Windows 10 laptop or tablet and could not get the triangle reader (or chip reader) to recognize correctly. I was looking for information about why, as it clearly states in the info that the app & reader are supposed to work for W10.

Being that it is confusing that the app says one thing (even going so far as to give troubleshooting advice for W10) but it appears to not be the case, I was mirroring the information of your own post of ‎Nov-16-2016 11:18 AM when you stated:

"I can get the bluetooth reader to be connected to the Toshiba laptop, but it is not recognized by PayPal Here. The triangle reader inserts but is not recognized by PayPal Here. It seems I can manually enter a credit card number as long as location services are enabled."

Now you have an idea of what I was trying to do. Use the reader and app as others were, looking for advice when it didn't work, and to confirm that my experience had been the same as you had found on your Google search... That the triangle reader does not work on W10 (regardless of the troubleshooting advice that is given), so that maybe some other users will not spend time like we did researching how to actually get it to perform.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@TimMusick

How did you manage so many repeating posts?

Question:  where did you find published information from PayPal stating that the PayPal Here readers work on a laptop with Win 10?

Just because the app will run doesn't mean the readers will.  From the app on Win 10 laptop I think you run the app and do sales with manual crd entry, but no readers.

I was only investigating for the OP, as a way of learning for myself.  I use PPHere on Android phone an tablet, not laptop.

I just checked PayPal for the Windows PayPal Here app. it is for a Windows phone and the mobile reader (not chip card reader).  Since it's a Windows app it apparently runs on a Windows laptop, but the laptop doesn't physically support the triangle reader.

Login to Me Too

SoccerMateo
New Community Member

Just now I clicked on the Windows 10 Store on my 2016 Lenovo laptop.  I found a Paypal Here app.  I downloaded it. 

Then I plugged my black triangle card reader from at least 1 year ago or more (that's the most recent one I happen to have) into the headphone jack.  The reader was recognized.  I did a practice swipe and it worked! 

Maybe I'm luckier than everyone else who posted here -- but trust me, there is hope!  I'm definitely NOT a technological genius, so since it worked for me it should work for lots of other people!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I hadn't tried the triangle reader on my Toshiba laptop; I only tried the bluetooth reader and it wouldn't connect.

Now I did plug the triangle reader into the headphone jack with volume up but the reader was not recongized.  I don't know if turning on location would matter or not.

Login to Me Too

GlenRay
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that the EMV Chip Reader or rather the PAYPAL HERE APP only works on devices that register as mobile. Windows 10 Mobile and Windows Tablets and PC's register as PC and is not currently supported. Only Android and iOS works as that app recognizes theses devices as mobile. The new Black Triangle reader does work  for Windows  Mobile and PC as well as Android and iOS. (i have only tested the black triangle reader on Windows Mobile, PC and Android not iOS yet). The volume on the devices has to be turned up to max in order for the reader to work. For Windows PC and Mobile make sure you have the latest updated version.

Login to Me Too

sequoia369
Contributor
Contributor

just wantd to validate what I read, you can use Pay Pal on a windows 10 PC if

1) you install the Pay Pal app from the MS Windows store

2) use the newest triangle mobile reader

3) turn the volume all the way up on the PC

any other settings needed?

Login to Me Too

GlenRay
Contributor
Contributor
No, on Windows 10 on tablets, not a desktop pc. The windows 10 tablets are recognized as a mobile device and will work with the triangle reader only.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.