Paypal Here - Windows 10 App and Bluetooth Chip Reader

SomebodySysop
Contributor
Contributor

Installed Paypal Here app on Windows 10 laptop w/ bluetooth.  Paired blutooth on laptop with paypal here chip reader.  I notice that the windows 10 app doesn't indicat that it supports bluetooth.

Do I have the correct app?

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I didn't think there was a PayPal Here app for Windows 10 laptop.

I just checked and it looks like there is one which is supposed to work, so I don't know the answer.

I use the bluetooth reader and a bluetooth printer for an Adroid tablet.

Added more info.

I checked the Microsoft store for the app and checked reviews. Most reviews contained little technical information, but I did find a couple which indicated issues with the EMV reader.

Login to Me Too

skadmin
New Community Member

My business is a Microsoft shop (as are many around the country) and I need the Windows app to support the EMV reader.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Well, I MIGHT stand corrected.

It appears that PayPal Here is avaiable for Windows 10.  I did a Google search and there is a PayPal Here Windows 10 app available from the Microsoft Windows store.  I haven't tried it yet.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Well, I spent some time trials, investigating, and searching Google.

Here's what I found.

The PayPal Here app does function on a Windows 10 laptop, but neither plugin nor bluetooth reader will connect.  It seems that's just the way it is.

I can get the bluetooth reader to be connected to the Toshiba laptop, but it is not recognized by PayPal Here.  The triangle reader inserts but is not recognized by PayPal Here.  It seems I can manually enter a credit card number as long as location services are enabled.

Perhaps someone else will continue the investigation to find a way to get bluetooth to work.

Login to Me Too

TimMusick
Contributor
Contributor
Have had the same experience with the triangle card reader. The PayPal Here app appears to work just fine otherwise, but even with all permissions granted, it refuses to recognize the triangle card reader.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@TimMusick

The original post was about PayPal Here on a Win 10 laptop.

The trinagle reader will not work on a laptop.

So, I have no idea what you are trying to do.

Login to Me Too

TimMusick
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations
I suppose I was doing the same thing you and others were when they installed PayPal Here on their Windows 10 laptop or tablet and could not get the triangle reader (or chip reader) to recognize correctly. I was looking for information about why, as it clearly states in the info that the app & reader are supposed to work for W10.

Being that it is confusing that the app says one thing (even going so far as to give troubleshooting advice for W10) but it appears to not be the case, I was mirroring the information of your own post of ‎Nov-16-2016 11:18 AM when you stated:

"I can get the bluetooth reader to be connected to the Toshiba laptop, but it is not recognized by PayPal Here.  The triangle reader inserts but is not recognized by PayPal Here.  It seems I can manually enter a credit card number as long as location services are enabled."

Now you have an idea of what I was trying to do. Use the reader and app as others were, looking for advice when it didn't work, and to confirm that my experience had been the same as you had found on your Google search... That the triangle reader does not work on W10 (regardless of the troubleshooting advice that is given), so that maybe some other users will not spend time like we did researching how to actually get it to perform.

Login to Me Too

TimMusick
Contributor
Contributor
@DPCreations
I suppose I was doing the same thing you and others were when they installed PayPal Here on their Windows 10 laptop or tablet and could not get the triangle reader (or chip reader) to recognize correctly. I was looking for information about why, as it clearly states in the info that the app & reader are supposed to work for W10.

Being that it is confusing that the app says one thing (even going so far as to give troubleshooting advice for W10) but it appears to not be the case, I was mirroring the information of your own post of ‎Nov-16-2016 11:18 AM when you stated:

"I can get the bluetooth reader to be connected to the Toshiba laptop, but it is not recognized by PayPal Here. The triangle reader inserts but is not recognized by PayPal Here. It seems I can manually enter a credit card number as long as location services are enabled."

Now you have an idea of what I was trying to do. Use the reader and app as others were, looking for advice when it didn't work, and to confirm that my experience had been the same as you had found on your Google search... That the triangle reader does not work on W10 (regardless of the troubleshooting advice that is given), so that maybe some other users will not spend time like we did researching how to actually get it to perform.
Login to Me Too

TimMusick
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations
I suppose I was doing the same thing you and others were when they installed PayPal Here on their Windows 10 laptop or tablet and could not get the triangle reader (or chip reader) to recognize correctly. I was looking for information about why, as it clearly states in the info that the app & reader are supposed to work for W10.

Being that it is confusing that the app says one thing (even going so far as to give troubleshooting advice for W10) but it appears to not be the case, I was mirroring the information of your own post of ‎Nov-16-2016 11:18 AM when you stated:

"I can get the bluetooth reader to be connected to the Toshiba laptop, but it is not recognized by PayPal Here. The triangle reader inserts but is not recognized by PayPal Here. It seems I can manually enter a credit card number as long as location services are enabled."

Now you have an idea of what I was trying to do. Use the reader and app as others were, looking for advice when it didn't work, and to confirm that my experience had been the same as you had found on your Google search... That the triangle reader does not work on W10 (regardless of the troubleshooting advice that is given), so that maybe some other users will not spend time like we did researching how to actually get it to perform.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.