Paypal Here -- Dealing with chip cards if I have a swipe device

timmusthegreat
New Community Member

Hello fine people.  I'm going to be at a convention next month and I'm trying to prepare.  The Paypal Here program offers two terminal devices: a Mobile Card Reader swipe device ($15) and a Chip Card Reader ($149).

My question is:

1 - If I have the $15 swipe device and I'm presented a chip card, how would I process it?  Swipe it normally, manually key in the number, or is there no option?

2 - Given that chip cards are becoming common, is the $15 swipe device a poor choice?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The swipe device will accept any card which has a magnetic stripe.

The chip card is primarily to detect counterfiet cards to protect the bank,  not the merchant.

You are the first line of defense for problem cards no matter what type of card you receive. It is your responsiblity to verify thre identity of the person presenting the card.  PayPal takes care of the rest.

It is also important that you main proper records about the items with each sale; you should provide the buyer with a detailed paper receipt for the purchase.

Which reader depends on what you want to pay and how many sales your expect to make.

I like to give buyers a detaile paper receipt of the PayPal Here sale; it's printed with a bluetooth receipt printer.  Customers don't really want to provide an email address for a receipt they get at home--and email addresses can have mistakes.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.