Paypal Debit Card - Multiple Rejections

ZRK
Contributor
Contributor

I have been rejected a second time. To top it off, they are requesting more information - proof of ID, SSN and address - information which I already supplied months ago when they rejected me the first time. Does anyone know why Paypal can't seem to identify me? My account is verified and was just used recently to buy a pair of earrings, among other items, so it isn't like I only use it once every blue moon.

The notifications in full were:

The PayPal Debit Card

Hello (my name appears here...),

Thanks for applying for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®. Unfortunately, we are unable to approve your application.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

and

----------------------------------------------------------------------
We need your help
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear (obviously my name was here),

We need your help resolving an issue with your PayPal account.

What's the problem?

We weren't able to confirm your identity using the information on your
PayPal Debit MasterCard<sup>&#xAE;</sup> application.  Please provide
additional information about yourself so we can use it in verifying your
identity.  You will have full access to your PayPal account during the next
15 days, but if we are unable to confirm your identity in that time, we
will limit access to your account.

Case ID Number: (hidden for security...)

How you can help

It's usually pretty easy to take care of things like this. Most of the
time, we just need a little more information about your account or latest
transactions.

Please log in to your account and go to the Resolution Center to find out
what you need to do. If we don't hear from you by 3/5/2012, we may limit
what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.

Sincerely,
PayPal

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

joe2209
Contributor
Contributor

Are they running a credit check on you?

Chances are when your application gets denied due to reasons such as the ones in your quoted text, they are unable to match the information you provided on your application with the information on your credit report.

I'd go back and make sure everything on the application is accurate, and I'd contact the 3 credit bureaus to verify the information they have on file for you is also accurate and matches the information you're putting on your paypal application.

Login to Me Too

ZRK
Contributor
Contributor

If I have never had a credit / debit card before, could that be the reason running a check on me doesn't work?

Otherwise, I will try and figure out how to contact them since I haven't before. I'm 19 and this will be my first debit card, so this is new territory. Thanks for the quick reply and the lead on who I should contact to ask about this further, Joe!

Login to Me Too

joe2209
Contributor
Contributor

Well, like I mentioned in my previous post, they seem to be denying your application because they can't tell that YOU are really YOU, which could be caused by information in your credit report being different from the information on your application for this card.

If they were denying you because you've never had a credit or debit card, they'd plain out tell you that your credit file is too "thin" (as they call it, which implies you have insufficent credit history). So because they are saying they need to verify your identity, it's most likely NOT because you've never had a credit or debit card.

Again, this is only if Paypal is actually running a credit check on you. Usually only CREDIT card companies run credit checks, or so I would assume. Since you are applying for a DEBIT card, it's likely they AREN'T running a credit check, but it's possible they ARE which is the way it sounds from what they have told you.

Login to Me Too

SyncSpin
New Community Member

The same situation happened to me.  When I looked closer I realized my birthday was wrong in paypal.  Off by one year.  In my case I think this may be the item that is not matching my credit check. 

I would look for anything that is wrong.  Credit checks show your address, name, etc.  So if something did not match of any kind it considers there to be a problem.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.