Paypal App Help Needed: Paying In Stores

NCCC
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, it's 2016 and I can't figure out how to use that darn app to pay in stores. Paypal "help" is no help, "app support" only shows me a video on how to send money to someone, and generally the Paypal site instructions don't seem to have been updated in a while since they refer to options that are no longer available.  I'm beyond frustrated and about to throw in the towel.  Please help!

Some background: I use a grocery rebate app called MobiSave that ONLY uses Paypal to refund me the rebates.  So I have money accumulating in my Paypal account.  I would like to, in turn, use that money to make IN STORE purchases.  I have an iPhone.  I have downloaded the app and I just updated it.   Location Services IS enabled for this app, as is "cellular" access if there is no Wi Fi available.

Issue #1:  Can someone kindly explain in very much detail how to use Paypal to pay in a store, step by step?  I have verified my mobile number and, according to the app, both my home phone and cell phone numbers can be used to pay in store.  I'm assuming (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that I would need to tell the cashier that I would like to pay with Paypal, they would ask me for my phone number, and then I would provide the 4-digit PIN for that specific store that the app is providing me.  Is that correct?  If not, once again, please be very specific. I have read older posts where people were talking about 6 and 8 digit pin codes, store cards being mailed to their house "automatically" so they can be swiped in the stores, etc.  I don't see an option anywhere in the app or on in my account on the Paypal website where I would request or be issued any other PIN number than the numbers provided by the app.  I've had my Paypal account for years and they never sent me a store card, nor can I see any information about requesting one. To be clear, I don't want a Paypal credit card.  I have phone call-phobia so I'd rather not have to call Customer Service to get that worked out.  However, none of the options that we have to pick when contacted Customer Service addresses in-store payment problems or questions.

Issue #2: Am I the only one for whom the "Pay in Stores" section of the app doesn't work?!  Again, I just updated the app and it still doesn't work. When I tap on "Pay in Stores", I see a list of stores that accept in store payments within 7-8 miles or so of my home address. (Dollar General and Autozone).  I wanted to pay with Paypal at Home Depot the other day but clicking on "Find a place" doesn't produce any results.  Inputting ANY zip code, including my own home zip code, results in "Nothing Nearby, We can't find any places near you".   Home Depot is more than 8 miles from my home.  At the very least, it should give me the same stores that appear to be defaulted to in the initial "Pay in Stores" page, no?!   It doesn't work whether I'm on Wifi or on cellular data.  When I'm using the app more than 8 miles away, the only stores that appear in the "Pay in Stores" section are the same ones that appear when I'm at home.  Even the distance doesn't change even though location services have been enabled.  I'd love to contact technical support about this but there isn't an option to report a problem anywhere that I could find. If you know of such a link, please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Make life easy for yourself,get a Paypal debit card and use it as a credit card in store,it will take the payment out of your available Paypal balance,if not enough,then your bank account linked to your Paypal account.

Why use it as a credit card and not a debit card?

You get 1% cash rebate from PAYPAL.

FEEL FREE TO PICK ON MY SPELLING ! 

Login to Me Too

X3non4300
New Community Member

Here's the answer:

The PayPal app only is pulling stores that give you a generated PIN# and you must pay through the app.

For all other stores, you will use the credit card swiper and select PayPal Credit, then enter in your 10 digit phone # and your 4 digit pin you set up.

So essentially you are not using the app during the purchase but doing this through the credit card reader.

Login to Me Too

McCullar17
New Community Member
Same thing! It is so frustrating knowing that stores around me like Walmart accept PayPal as payment but it never comes up in the PayPal app section of stores around me that accept PayPal, therefore I'm unable to get a code to use in store after having a pin and confirmation of phone number! Help please!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.