PayPal Working Capital Reference Error Code 646?

notdotcalm
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone tell me what Error Code 646 means?

Trying to apply for second working capital loan and it keeps denying my application.  I'm not being refused the loan, it is rejecting my application for an error that I can't figure out.  All of my info appears to be correct.

I have tried 7 times so far over the past 3 days.  I have removed the po box line from my address, double checked phone numbers, etc.

If I just knew what the 646 was I might be able to target the problem and fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

joyzee_grrl_jea
Contributor
Contributor
THANKS!!!!!!!!😁😀😎 TOOK me 5 threads and over an hr of reading people gripe b4 I found a helpful comment !!!
Login to Me Too

notdotcalm
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

Waited a couple of weeks and applied again. Instantly approved for same amount as my first loan.  No idea what was going on or why, but glad it went through.

Login to Me Too

3dg
Contributor
Contributor

Have had working capital for over 4 years. Today was the first time was declined with the 646 error. The loan in the fall was small, but sales were worse. They are better now, so who knows why this error? The paypal working capital loans were larger and better in the beginning. Less restictions. Today, they are not much different than a bank or other lender. Dissapointing. We do every business transaction with PP, including merchant. I know I can get it cheaper elsewhere. They've made thousands and thousands on us over the years, so to have paid this loan early, in full, and then declined for the next is **bleep**.

Login to Me Too

kingdaddy2004
Contributor
Contributor

Having problems myself. Got and paid off my first loan tried for a second and was turned down and keep getting turned down not sure why. I keep getting reference code 255 not sure what that means . Does anyone know what 255 is?

Login to Me Too

Clueless007
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like the same issue is happening to many of us. Holiday sales were slow for some of us that do not sell new items. Are they not taking that into consideration?

Login to Me Too

palmabros
Contributor
Contributor

I spoke to Paypal customer service after I received the same error. It turns out it was based on a fluctuation in sales. I know my Ebay sales slow way down in early december until I start selling again in January. It was suggested that I re-apply in a little while after getting in some daily payments through paypal to even out that fluctuation. The rep also told me that there is no negative affect on applications and to feel free to apply each day as it may change based on consistancy factors. Hope this info helps.

Login to Me Too

Clueless007
Contributor
Contributor

My sales range from ?? to ????. Daily. I have gotten told several different excuses but the bottom line is our business more than qualifies above and beyond expectations. But yet still having issues. This **bleep** should have been taken care of asap by all the reps. But now were talking two or three weeks. Let's see if they come trhough by Monday. That makes 3 weeks. Let's see what service they provide. 

Login to Me Too

Clueless007
Contributor
Contributor

Oh trust me that should have changed. My numbers in two weeks meet their 3 month requirement. 

Login to Me Too

Kernow68
New Community Member

I have had the same problem. Took out a $23000 loan around Oct16. Paid it off early in January 17.

Reapplied for a loan and was offered $21,000. Did not take it up immediately as I had to discuss in with my wife. Went back two days later and was only offered $4000 or $4500 (can't remember exactly). Rang Paypal and they basically said "try again in a few days and you'll get a bigger offer". Tried again and was offered $7500. 

I thought "that's an improvement" and tried again the next day and got the error code 646. Rang Paypal again and was told that code meant I had been denied.  The excuse I got was "that is how our system works and we can't manually change it".

So having used Paypal for over 10 years and taken out 6 working capital loans for over $78,000 since they were first offered, this is how Paypal treats me. It is very disappointing.

Login to Me Too

heirjordan
New Community Member

Having the same issue. You would think paying off your first loan would gain you some favor with the "system", but it does not seem to work that way. During November and December I had great PayPal sales, but January slows down. Three weeks into January and my application is being denied....

I understand it's an automated system but PayPal really needs to refine it. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.