PayPal Working Capital Reference Error Code 646?

notdotcalm
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone tell me what Error Code 646 means?

Trying to apply for second working capital loan and it keeps denying my application.  I'm not being refused the loan, it is rejecting my application for an error that I can't figure out.  All of my info appears to be correct.

I have tried 7 times so far over the past 3 days.  I have removed the po box line from my address, double checked phone numbers, etc.

If I just knew what the 646 was I might be able to target the problem and fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

gonzo5th
Contributor
Contributor

I was told that 646 code has nothing to do with holds on your account for any amount of money. It's due to fluctuation in your sales

Login to Me Too

Marley77
Contributor
Contributor
Man I am angry with PayPal. Took out a loan with them in Feb, paid it off in 40 days. Went to get another loan two days later & had the same error. Spoke to a lady from PayPal. She said to try again tomorrow or in a week... She couldn't help me anymore. Used PayPal for my business since 2013. Feel **bleep** off.
Login to Me Too

bdk1969
Contributor
Contributor

I just called PayPal and spoke to a Working Capital representative who told me what many of you have said....that the 646 code means that there was an abnormality in my sales which could be a slow week or several days without sales that triggered the code. She said that it goes day by day and to keep trying as there is no limit to the number of times you can apply. 

hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

BBRFAndy

All very frustratimg... they say you are not eligable at this time , please try again and give you a error code  but do not take the time to explain what that means. if they did it would surely save a great deal of trouble for all party's .

My was Reference error code 306 any ideas what this one means. 

Thanks 

Login to Me Too

codex
New Community Member

Error Code 646

same same.........over and over , irs pretty pathetic really having had 3 loans and all paid back quickly and on time and the last in half the time allocated , it shows how much Paypal is run basically by a machine or code from some computer with Zero human Intelligence.

You would think on the basis of someone paying off 3 loans of quite a lot of money in quick time and showing endless sales every day for over 5 years and twice what they want to borrow that paypals system would be able to work out its a low risk.

I get the feeling they just dont want to loan money to certain business types or there is more to this as it makes zero sense for a lender to keep turning down a customer  /  borrower with flawless business history and with a lot of sales per day.

Time to look elsehwhere i think and consider shifting my business onto another credit card platform 

Login to Me Too

bdk1969
Contributor
Contributor

I have been getting the 646 code with declines for a month after paying off my previous loan. I call and they tell me its day to day and to keep applying. They said it was due to a decline in my sales during november and then I had a big surge in february. 

Today I applied and for the first time got something different which makes ZERO sense!

Sorry, your application was declined

You’ll receive a letter informing you why your application was declined, which includes the following reason(s):

Currently, your PayPal account activity is insufficient. The level of account activity is determined by PayPal account verification status, how long the account has been open, account usage, seasonal trends, and/or bank account verification status.

If you have any questions, please call us at 1-877-981-2128 Monday to Friday 9am-8pm ET so we can try to help. Thank you for your interest.

Code 703

I have more sales the last 2 months than I've ever had! I have had consistent balances and payments and then I get this???? I am beyond confused.

Login to Me Too

jodadj
Contributor
Contributor

I am now really wondering if Paypal has changed its lending and is just using these codes and withheld amounts as a way to deny without actually telling someone "no".

I have had $9.99 withheld on my account for over 3 months and after multiple phone calls, nothing has happened. I think that this is happening to too many of us for it just to be a coincidence.

Login to Me Too

wholesaleorelse
Contributor
Contributor
Yes it is happening to a lot of us. Looking for business funding elsewhere also. PayPal has been acting strange, meaning they made me feel like "I" was the criminal selling legitimate iPhones to customers who later disputed with their credit card companies that someone hacked their account. Why is that my problem that their are so many fraudsters out there? I did my part sold my phone and expect my money. It's PayPal's job to protect us good honest sellers from these fraudsters but as soon as I called and talked to a supervisor/manager I was told for me to be more careful who I sell to? Wow! I was shocked! They made me feel like I was the fraudster. Very frustrating, esieviakjy if 99% if my customers dint email me but just purchase items. Of course after that I started emailing customers to make sure everything was good with their orders and out of say 8 buyers, 1 answered my email lol. What more can I do? They definitely have me finding other options as I am in need of purchasing a large order and they have sent me these error codes for 3 days now. Will be back to let everyone know how long this process will be if I'm still with PayPal by then.
Login to Me Too

PPSavesLives
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to add some perspective to this issue. I have recently had the same. Been banking solely with PayPal for 7 years since our business went live. Every payment in that time has gone thorugh PayPal, no cash, no other card payment processor. 

We've had 2 PayPal working capitals, first one for £4k, latest one for £7k. Both paid back within 1 year. Went for a 3rd last week and got the same error message. Called them and was told nothing they can do, the error code just means you've been declined (nothing specific) and they can't see any issues with our account. Was advised to keep trying.

Instead of waking up daily and praying that PayPal have sorted their algorythm out, I gave my bank a call (business account with Barclays). They loaned us more money, with less APR, and less monthly payments. Of course, always with the option of topping up (no paying off early and then praying to the big man). The best bit? - they will also now start processing card payments for us with the use of API and IPN to the website. They will give us greater control over currency conversions, much cheaper merchant fees (and I do mean MUCH cheaper) and a £5k overdraft.

PayPal have not only lost our money from Working Capital, but they have now lost their exlcusivity with us, and over time will lose lots in merchant fees. We will make sure we place all our big business with our new card processor at Barclays. 

My point to you all: there are other options for you. Especially if you have a reasonably well established business and you have any kind of relationship with a "proper" bank.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.