PayPal Here Questions and Troubleshooting

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

While the general release of this product has not yet begun, this thread is here for questions about the product. If you're in the initial limited release and have experience with the card reader, please feel free to ask or answer questions in this thread. If you have questions about how PayPal Here works, please feel free to post them here too.

Before asking a question, please take a look at the PayPal Here FAQ, and read through the previous questions in the thread. Your answer may already be available! 🙂

Feedback posts should be made in the Feedback about PayPal Here thread in the Your Voice forum. If your post was moved from this thread, please look for it there. Thank you! 🙂

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
635 REPLIES 635

SAOnline
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys,

I got an email saying that I was invited to Paypal here and when I went to sign in using the email they gave me on my iphone, It kept saying almost here! My email is, well I wont make that public 😛

I dont know what to do. 

Login to Me Too

slubird

I have Android 2.3.6 and PayPal here app says it needs Android 2.2 or higher. However it says it's not compatible with my device! What's going on and how can I download this app?

Login to Me Too

Dklawrence
New Community Member

I am running Android 2.3.6 on the Samsung Droid Charge but the Paypal Here app says it is non-compatible with my device.  Please let me know how to proceed.  Thanks!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Dklawrence,

I'm sorry to hear that the device is incompatible. Frank posted a link to a list of compatible devices back on July 4. We are expanding the list as we can. Due to encryption considerations, not all devices are compatible.

Thank you for your patience!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

RTRBURN
New Community Member

One requirement of using Paypal Here is an SD card. Whats the plan with the newest version of phones like the HTC One X that use an internal storage instead of a SD card? Just really disappointing that you are forced to change phones to be able to use this device.

Login to Me Too

LeoSweeney
Contributor
Contributor

Why don't you send any instructions on how to use the card reader with the swipe? I want to know how I can test the swipe reader without any charges before I get my first use with a real customer, and find out that something is not working while a potential sale is standing in front of me.

Login to Me Too

LeoSweeney
Contributor
Contributor

It sure would be nice if all questions and remarks would be replied to from a PAYPAL HERE representitive. What about your good customer service????

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi RTRBURN and LeoSweeney,

Welcome to the PayPal Community Help Forums! 🙂

RTRBURN - I've been looking into this for you. Android applications in general sometimes have a requirement of the ability to write to SD card. In our case, setting information is stored on the SD card. I believe this is something that is being reviewed for future releases. Constructive and helpful feedback like yours should definitely be shared in the Feedback forum. The Help forums are for member-to-member assistance, but threads like the one we have going in the Feedback forum are the ones that would be reviewed when feedback is needed for improvements.

LeoSweeney -I understand your excitement about the PayPal Here product and your desire to get info as fast as possible. Please take a look at this article to learn why most posts are not typically answered by an employee. If you do need assistance from Customer Service, you can call or email, or reach out on Twitter to @AskPayPal. There's also a PayPal Here-specific number to call if you shake your phone while the PayPal Here application is loaded. 🙂

I'd be happy to answer your question. 🙂 The PayPal Here device is pretty much a plug-and-play, ready-to-go piece of equipment. There's really no testing to be done, and the information on a credit card is live and real. That said, I can definitely understand why you would want to try it out the second you get it out of the box! 🙂

If you do end up processing a small payment as a trial transaction, please avoid using any of your own cards in order to comply with the User Agreement, and so that you don't prevent the use of that card on your own account in the future. When I get mine I'll probably be trying it out by selling one of my coworkers a stick of gum or something. 🙂

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

begoss

"The PayPal Here device is pretty much a plug-and-play, ready-to-go piece of equipment. There's really no testing to be done, and the information on a credit card is live and real. That said, I can definitely understand why you would want to try it out the second you get it out of the box!"

This is a silly reply... no one (who is a serious business person)  is gong to swipe a customer credit card into an untested system... I don't care how "plug and play" it is.

Merchant Account / Payment Gateways for e-Commerce are "ready-to-go" as well... but no one would launch an e-commerce site without testing transcations the payment gateway... the credit card companies even provide test card numbers and protocols for this purpose.

If PayPal wants to be a serious player with PayPal Here, they will have to do likewise. There needs to be a system in place to run test transactions. Wheher that is a physical test card that ships with the devivce, or a policy of running test transactions on your own card - similar to how PayPal (used to?) put tiny deposits into bank accounts to verify ownership - is up to PayPal, but the ability to perform test transactions is essential to the wide adoption of this system.

Any PayPal employees reading this... I would suggest this to your superiors. Otherwise, be prepared to ship a bunch of hardware units that never get used.

Login to Me Too

Babytovintage
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, have you tried the "TEST SWIPE" under support & Help? I have been trying it but I have no idea what it is supposed to be doing. The  3rd reader is now not working, really? I have an Iphone 4S and have been reading it has issues with the triangle readers? Does anyone have an Iphone 4S that is working with the triangle reader? Just downloaded new IOS for phone and I will let you know if anything changes.

Thank you and I hope the test swip helps you out.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.