PayPal Here Chip Card Reader and iPad 2 Compatibility

artgal
Contributor
Contributor

I have an older iPad 2, running the latest iOS v 9.3.5. I just upgraded from the PayPal Here dongle to the chip/magnetic strip card reader. I can't get the darn thing to pair. I explained this to PayPal support and, thinking I got a defective card reader, they rushed me out a new one just in the nick of time to pack for a trade show. Unfortunately, when I got to the show I discovered the replacement had the exact same issue. Luckily I still had the old dongle to fall back on. Now I have two PayPal Here Card Readers that I can't get to pair with my iPad2, and another show coming up in 2 weeks. I've spent a great deal of time on the phone with PayPal Support but so far, no one has come up with a resolution. It seems a bit too coincidental that both card readers would be defective so my suspicion is falling on the tablet compatibility. The card reader is advertised to be compatible with iPad2 running at least ver 8.1+. I've reinstalled the latest version of the PayPal Here software, Bluetooth works fine with all my other devices, everything is current.

I'm wondering if anyone has had, or knows of, any issues with the PayPal Here Chip Card Reader not being compatible with iPad2? I just feel I'm not getting any straight answers from PayPal Support. Either they just don't know or don't want to know but I have to resolve this or find another payment method (like Square) asap.
Thanks for any help

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Most likely it's your iPad 2 - the latest iOS version is 11.2.5 - if you can't update your device to the lastest iOS version then it's time to consider device retirement. 

Login to Me Too

incognito
Contributor
Contributor

iPad 2 is not compatible.  I wasted an hour across two calls to their tech support, each one assuring me it was compatible. After wasting time with two card readers (they assumed one was defective) AND two ipads I gave up and got an iPad air and it works perfectly.  If they are telling you iPad2 is compatible they are misinformed.   Both readers paired perfectly with my newer phone, too.

Login to Me Too

artgal
Contributor
Contributor

Incognito - Oh dear! Wish I'd seen these messages sooner. After more correspondence with PayPal's Merchant Tech Support, he finally said that the larger $79 Chip Card Reader is compatible with my iPad 2, but the smaller $24.99 Chip and Swipe Card Reader is not. So I ordered one and am in the process of returning 2 of the smaller ones they sent (neither paired). According to what you're saying, I'm going to be disappointed when the $79 Chip Card Reader arrives and doesn't work ..unless ..the 2 card readers you tried were also the smaller 24.99 Chip and Swipe ones. I'm convinced these tech support people are not English speaking because, after a week of explaining in great detail the issue I was having, he finally tells me an upgrade card reader will work?? What I did get out of the conversation is that using the smaller card reader requires that your iPad 2 be running Bluetooth 4.0. Well, that's not possible because iPad 2 only came with Bluetooth 2 and it's not something that can be upgraded since it's built-in hardware. But apparently the 79.00 Chip Card Reader will work with Bluetooth 2. He said it's engineered differently. So, we'll see.

The Chip Card Reader I ordered should be here tomorrow so I'll have to report back on whether it will work or not. If so, it's a shame you had to invest in a newer iPad. Although I'm sure you're enjoying it, the $79 upgrade is a far more economical way to go ..if it really works.

Thanks for your post. I appreciate hearing your experience.

Login to Me Too

bvu
New Community Member

I'm curious--did the new $79 reader work for you now?  We are experiencing the same issue and would like to know for sure before we go and buy ANOTHER card reader...

Login to Me Too

artgal
Contributor
Contributor

bvu - Yes, it did! I think it was engineered to be backward compatible with the older Bluetooth version, but what do I know? I'm just thrilled it works. Just in the nick of time too ..I'm leaving for a trade show. PayPal's little video tutorial for the Chip Card Reader doesn't mention charging the reader when it arrives (which is usually standard procedure with new devices), but the literature in the box says to charge it first. Oddly, when I plugged it in, it was almost fully charged. Next, I turned on my iPad's Bluetooth and it instantly found the Reader. The last thing to do is open the PayPal Here app. I could not find the option to practice swiping (for the purpose of testing it),  so I just made an actual $1.00 charge with my own credit card, using the chip. It went through flawlessly.  I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it's no longer compatible but for the time being, I'm happy I avoided having to spend a ton more on a new iPad.

Login to Me Too

wbw
New Community Member

I am having the same problem.  I have an ipad 2 that I just purchased, and chip/swipe reader will not pair with.  I am a little upset that they told me that "any" ipad would work, before I purchased it.  I have plenty of "boat anchors" around here without adding another one (since I bought the ipad 2 so we could take payments).  Now, I find that I will need to purchase another $79 chip/swipe reader to make it work.  I'm frustrated!  wbw

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.