PayPal Debit card has declined me 4 times in 4 days with plenty of $$ in Backup account at bank

ChrisGeorger
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot use the PP Debit card again.  Too embarassing. Have had it for a year or so and no problems until this week.  Tried to buy a gift card and was denied.  this is only card so I had to sheepishly walk away.  Called in and was assured I did nothing and it would work next time.  It did but not the time after that.... 10 minutes later.  Called again. I was told to make a little deposit so they could "see" activity.  Why!  do not need to do that for any other card.  So I did and went to grocery store next day. $49.00 and was denied... twice because I couldn't believe it.  So I called for the 4th time.  escalated to manager right away ( last time too)  and explained experiences.  He told me of update that makes this happen unles I put enough in the account to cover any call for funds.  What!  Give them a deposit?  I don't think I'll be using the PayPay Debit card anymore.  4 calls in 4 days because of 4 denials ...embarassing 4 times in 4 days?  Nope I am not a quick learner (obviously) but eventually I get it.... don't use the PayPal  debit card.... it isn't a debit card unless they have enough $$ to cover activity.  

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ChrisGeorger

Spending money: to use the card, you’ll need to have funds in your PayPal account (from payments you’ve received or transfers you’ve made into the account, for example). If you don’t have funds in your account before you spend with the card, your purchase will be rejected – unless you set up a backup funding source, such as your bank account, which allows you to spend even if you don’t have any money in PayPal. You can only withdraw cash if you’ve got sufficient funds in your PayPal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ChrisGeorger
Contributor
Contributor

Not true in my case.  They have had my backup bank account since the beginning.  New behavior for the last week before Christmas.  Go Figure

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I just used my Paypal business debit card today,twice.

Once at Office depot and another at a supermarket,both went thru.

There is enough money in my Paypal account to cover them.

But another time at Kansas City steak site,I used it twice and both declined,

Then I received emails saying I made payments,then I go to my account and found they are cancelled.there were m ore money in my account then.

I get 1  1/2 % ,thats why I use it,but if you are getting 1%,may be use a credit card,there are cards which give you 1% without embarassing you in public.

You see PAYPAL is not even apologising for the snafu.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Never had the card decline on me yet (knock on wood).  Maybe they no likey that you bought gift card via debit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

cat5dog1

This happens to me all the time and PayPal doesn't care.  I was told it is a trade off for their great security.  I cannot use it at any of my grocery stores any longer and on big name stores when trying to place online orders such as CVS and Walgreens.  I was told they probably have a high fraud rate.  It is very embarrassing to be told my card was declined when there is a long line behind me at the check out counter.  When I threatened to cut up my PayPal Debit card I was told "do what you want".  I enjoy the 1% returned but hate the inconvenience.  My husband cut his up because he couldn't even use it at the gas pump any more.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

My vendor just charge my debit card yesterday,it went thru,but I always keep a healthy balance in my Paypal account,the only time it did not work was with Kansas city Steak website.

but use your credit card direct,they give perks ,I earn points when I used my AMEX and I can use these points to pay for AMZN purchase,or pay my AMEX bills,customer service is pretty good online and off line.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.