No funds, no debit (declined) BROKEN product.

gis-llc
Contributor
Contributor

First Debit card use (bank account verified, way sufficient funds,). Called support,and informaed that I need to add funds to paypal (despite the CLAIM that the funds would be drawn from my bank account.... ????). Fine, I attempt to load over $700.00 to the account, and I receive an error (There's a problem with adding money to your account. If you'd like help, please contact us.) note the contact us is a faq search page. No help at all there.

So:

I can't use the debit card. It is declined for no reason (funds available multiples of times over).

I can't  transfer funds from my CONFIRMED bank account.

I can't get an answer from email support ( I got a boilerplate explanation of HOW to transfer funds) that had nothing to do with my request for help that I COULD NOT transfer funds. I understand how, it is very simple. I am not stupid.

I am not sure I want to call support again... no offense... but the people I have spoken with are not well trained. 

I strongly feel I am wasting my valuable time.  There are so many options that work... why am I wasting my time with this disaster?

Anyone else have these issues? Does paypal resolve anything?  This is a product that is BROKEN for me at least.

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

svr407
Contributor
Contributor

My card got declined today for the first time and I have backup funds, I think paypal is having a problem and they don't even know it yet.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

are you two referring to the Paypal business debit card?

Paypal has problems,it is an embarrassement to see it declined 

Login to Me Too

DaniLLR
New Community Member

I have been having the same issues with my business debit card through Paypal. My personal account Paypal debit card hasn't been having any issue.

I last made an almost $1,000 purchase on my biz debit card with no issues but now can't even get a $22 charge to authorize. 

Any Paypal gave me the same response as you. Frustrating!!

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This problem has been reported by many users,sometimes it work,sometimes it does not.

I have tried it in brick and mortar supermarkets,website like Macy and Kansas City Steakhouse,it does not work.

BUT IT works at the dentist office and Ebay when Paying my Ebay fees.

Just make sure you have another credit/debit card with you

Login to Me Too

gis-llc
Contributor
Contributor

I spoke with a young man in telephone support.

There is a security "upgrade" that creates the situation that you cannot add funds on a new account, and cannot use the debit card without funds to begin (new account also). 

He suggested a "workaround" to schedule a fund transfer (which apparently will work tomorrow for example). The funds WILL transfer, and then cancel the scheduled transfer (if you choose to not have a scheduled draft  of x amount from your bank account).

Not being a Bank, Paypal cannot see your bank account funds when you request a debit with their card. In effect, this is a small loan until they receive the funds days later from your bank... IF you have those funds.

The new account workaround should not be required (broken) but would be acceptable if I chose to continue with the debit card. I am not, as I see too many broken issues with the product. It is a shame. I would NOT advertise a product with 1% cash back ( a hook! ) and have such a crummy product. All that is resulting is advertising a terrible product and irritating and losing customers.

Very simple to understand. The problem (other than they couls use some security issues resolved for new accounts) is that they can't see funds. Partner with a bank or create a bank subsidiary to complete the transactions properly (see funds). That fixes the issue. Probably too simplistic. There must be a reason they have not done this... but for the life of me: why would they not stop advertising and damaging your market share with such awful products/services!

Someone at Paypal management is fairly stupid it appears. I figured out the problem, and a solution, in less than a week. No one wanted to tell me the problem... I had to ask very specific questions to verify my assumprtions. This long without a fix (years!)? Yea... someone is very, very  stupid.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

they cant see the fund?

they wont even touch the fund in your paypal account,so how do they explain this?

since this chip business comes in with the cc machine,things dont work too well.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

not being able to transfer fund from your bank account (verified) to your paypal account is not a debit card problem.

have you tried a different bank?

Login to Me Too

gis-llc
Contributor
Contributor

I have confirmed the problems with Paypal staff.

• New Paypal policy/account security can and often blocks the transfer of funds from the bank account to the paypal account of new/newer paypal accounts.
  • Paypal (not being a bank) and ONLY a payment processor by classification has limited ability to view funds avalilability with your banking account(s).
  • Paypal can ONLY request from the bank the funds for the processed transaction at that moment. If you have drained your bank account since the last use they will not be paid. (example: 5 transactions for $5000.00 all approved as each transaction had sufficient funds at the time of request. A check is used to withdrawl all of your money before the paypal delayed transactions are completed... hence NO MONEY to be had in your account for Paypal.

etc.   etc.

etc.

Basically, due to their limitations their "debit" card is actually more of a wierd credit card. Albeit, your agreement means you OWE them for any problem purchases.. but that requires paypal to expend time and resources.

Ultimately: If you have a good and long history, you should be okay for MOST transactions. No guarantee like with a credit or a debit card YOU KNOW you can trust not to leave you hanging.

If you are a new customer you need to build a trust, and even then their are issues. 

You see: a broken product that neither functions as advertised ( you have funds, it should never decline).

They get a processor fee... which is why all of this is even being attempted. Better to just open the Internet Bank of Paypal and issue debit as a bank. That WOULD work.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@gis-llc

I don't use the product, but I followed problems.

Thank your for your research an detailed explanation.  It really makes sense.

For me, it't just regular reliable bank credit cards--no hassle.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.