New Chip Card Reader Confirm Total Twice Then Stop Processing Decline

woodcarver
Contributor
Contributor

I just got a new chip card reader that does not work.

Blue Tooth connected to Galaxy8 no problem.

Paypal Here connected to reader no problem.

Enter payment amount select Charge then told to insert card, card recognized as being inserted.

Paypal Here asks to confirm total purchase, twice.

Processing starts then fails then asked to remove card.

When card removed Paypal Here displays Declined.

I have tried 3 different cards. These cards all work with my Square Chip Card Reader and they work when I swipe them with my Paypal Audio Reader on the same phone.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

woodcarver
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone who is following this thread, the issue is resolved, at least partially.

In PayPal Here if the TIP setting is turned on in the Galaxy8 then the Chip Card Reader will not work. Turn off the PayPal Here TIP setting.

A PayPal Here supervisor told me what the issue was and that it is a known problem that PayPay is trying to fix.

The initial tech help person I talked with was hung up on telling me it was the card being declined in spite of trying 3 cards and the cards working on a Square reader.

I'll be staying with my PayPal Chip Card Reader.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

TheJayJayStore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Since this is a technical issue, you should contact PayPal's technical support either by phone at https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/contact/call or by email at https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/contact/email.
Login to Me Too

woodcarver
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for trying but your post was of little value. I was hoping someone here could help me out. I tried calling before posting here but of course after waiting in menu and sales pitch purgatory no one from PayPal responded it only returned me to the menu selections repeatedly even after asking for "agent" from the menu selections. I also used the self-help before posting here but could not find any help that applied to my situation.

I'll be returning the chip reader and staying with my working Square Reader. I can't believe the lack of help from PayPal.

And what makes this even more aggravating is that I prefer PayPal over Square and got the Chip Reader so that I would not have to use Square any longer.

Thanks again for trying.

Login to Me Too
Solved

woodcarver
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone who is following this thread, the issue is resolved, at least partially.

In PayPal Here if the TIP setting is turned on in the Galaxy8 then the Chip Card Reader will not work. Turn off the PayPal Here TIP setting.

A PayPal Here supervisor told me what the issue was and that it is a known problem that PayPay is trying to fix.

The initial tech help person I talked with was hung up on telling me it was the card being declined in spite of trying 3 cards and the cards working on a Square reader.

I'll be staying with my PayPal Chip Card Reader.

Login to Me Too

TheJayJayStore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sounds great! I'll forward this information to others who are having the same problem and I'll bookmark this question.

Login to Me Too

JAPerezFdz
New Community Member

I just got a brand new Chip and Swipe Card reader, it's fully paired with my Galaxy S8 and with my Galaxy Tab E tablet and on every single transaction is being decline, I called technical support and they told me about the Tip option but it was already disable, I toggle it and tried again without any success, also I did re-install the app on both devices without any luck.

At the end the tech support guy just send me an email with the instructions to open a ticket on the Paypal MTS page.

We'll see when they are going to come back to me with a proper solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.