If iphone7 has no headphone jack, how will paypal here work?

studio-N
Contributor
Contributor

the title pretty much says it all. Looks like apple is dropping the headphone jack. 

Since I rely on paypal Here that will no longer work if I upgrade my phone.  Can we expect a new ready that plugs into thier Lightning port?  Sure we can still enter card numbers manually, but that cost more.

Maybe its time for us all to consider other smartphones.  cheers!

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I don't think PayPal will put funds into a special connecton for an iPhone as the push is to chip cards and PayPal already has a nice chip card reader that works with bluetooth.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I heard the phone will come with an adapter for the reg headphone jack.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

studio-N
Contributor
Contributor

let us hope so. Although I wouln't be surprised if it is part of a nafarious plan to get us to switch to ApplePay Smiley Wink

Login to Me Too

moko6450
New Community Member

How does that work?  And will the headphone jack adapter work for the manual swipe?

Login to Me Too

sdejager
Contributor
Contributor

What the heck? I simply cannot find any information from Paypal of how to swipe the credit cards now in my PayPal Here account. This is crazy as others must be having the same issue? Sure, I can do it manually (and have been since I got my new iphone) but customers must wait for me to input all of the information, AND it costs me more to do it manually. 

Please, Paypal, address this issue!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Best to contact Apple about an adapter.

PayPal already has a bluetooth credit card reader, so I wouldn't expect any resources put into a special non-chip card reader of special iPhones.

Login to Me Too

Greytguy
Contributor
Contributor

We tried the chip reader and had to return it- wouldn't stay synced with phone and sometimes locked up- had to continually restart/reboot reader.  When you're busy vending at an event, this lack of reliability is unacceptable.  I am sticking with my old iPhone 5 and magnetic strip card reader- they work!

Login to Me Too

JBE34
Contributor
Contributor

"Special" Iphones? More like the next generation of Iphones, which is a huge platform for this service. They should definately make an updated version. In the mean time Apple supplies an adapter with the Iphone 7. I wouldnt expect that with the 8, but by then Paypal should, if they know whats good for themselves, have an updated reader for the current I Phone.

Can someone from Paypal chime in and confirm?

Login to Me Too

riceball
Contributor
Contributor

I just plugged my reader into the headphone jack adapter that came with the phone and was able to connect just fine. It looks a little funky having it dangle off the bottom via a small wire but it works.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.