Identification requirements for PayPal Prepaid Mastercard

nickalcid
Contributor
Contributor

I was just on the phone with customer service and I'm always glad that Paypal will do that extra mile to prove your identity. But when they ask you for documents and the fact that I just moved from California to Washington. I have never had to provide a copy of my social security card. I placed my social security in my safety deposit box in california and the customer service lady insisted that paypal document team will deny my proof of identification without it. I told her what I had to provide, one I always carry my U.S. Passport and my ID. But since moving to Washington I have few days until I can get my ID in the mail. My U.S. Passport is valid until next year, and this document supercedes any other document other than my Birth Certificate which is also in my safety deposit box. 

If paypal would refuse my U.S. Passport as a valid identification and still require me to show them a copy of my social securty catrd, then HOUSTON we've got a problem. 

First of all, it is unconstitutional if this was a face to face transaction and I showed my US Passport and you denied my passport as valid identification. My U.S. Passport can take me places other countries wish they can go, but not my social security card. 

This is a Prepaid Card. I would have to load money to use my own money and I would get charged a fee even when I load it or use it. I am a United States Citizen and therefore will take a heavier action if this ruling is not fixed. I have been a paypal member since it started. I had to change my account due to fraud. I will not let this happen again or for anyone else that is being denied to just get a piece of plastic that we can't use unless WE load it.

I have had to go through this issue once, and I'm not going to let it happen again and again and again.

If anyone in this community especially Paypal please investigate this issue, I will send you my document or my U.S. Passport and activate my Prepaid card. Just let me know where to send it. 

If there are any U.S. Attorney's on this community please contact me ASAP. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Banks require SS numbers for accounts.

You either provide or you don't get the card.  It's just the rules set by our banking regulations.  

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What does your passport have to do with constitutionality?   PayPal is not part of our Constitution.

As for a SS number, it is a financial requirement.  Either you comply or you don't.  PayPal has a legal obligation to have your SS number on file.  It's your choice to comly or not.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

are you having problem doing it yourself online?

Did you just buy this card?

if so,it is a temporary card,you will receive an official card with name etc on it,then you can link it with your PAypal account.

question,since you have moved,why do you still keep a safe desposit box in CA and have important documents there?

when will you go back and retrieve these documments?

Login to Me Too

nickalcid
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved the actual in the mail and was told to call customer service. Probably because this is due to me moving. In regards to my safety deposit box, will there be any other reason why I should need to provide anyone the original document of my Social Security card. When a U.S. Citizen shows you a U.S. Passport that automatically should tell you that I can work any where in the United States as long as I can provide them my social security number. 

Are there like new rules on U.S. Passports that I don't know about? This is why I carry my Passport because once I show anyone for verification they don't ask me for a second document. 

I travel a little out of the country and even other countries where you are required to proivde them a Visa including your passport. If you are do not have a U.S. Passport. So instead of anyone questioning if the person who he says he is, It's a smooth transaction. 

I highly support the security measures for every company that needs supporting documents. But where do you draw the line. Some companies will ask you for a copy of your social security card, and then that company will turn around and sell it to the black market without you knowing and then it's too late. 

Login to Me Too

nickalcid
Contributor
Contributor

My concern is she was asking me to send her verifiable documents to show proof that I am the card owner. I asked her what she needed and that the documents department will not approve if I don't provide the following documents I told her that I never had to show my original Social Security card because I always carry my U.S. Passport with me. Even when I open a checking account I show them my U.S. Passport and that this supercedes any other document that they require. 

All my personal and important documents such as birth certificate, Social Security Card and my diplomas are kept in a safety deposit box. With all these identiy theft happening all around the world I made sure that I remember and memorized all the important numbers I need to remember. 

Oh by the way, Paypal Prepaid card is issued by The Bancorp Bank and is a registered company in the United States and this is why I am upset that if they don't take my U.S. Passport as a valid document then that is an issue. Do you not agree?

Vaild U.S. ID

U.S. Passport

Social Security Card

A household Bill

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Banks require SS numbers for accounts.

You either provide or you don't get the card.  It's just the rules set by our banking regulations.  

Login to Me Too

nickalcid
Contributor
Contributor

I know that and I did tell her what my social security number was and as a security measure she asked If I can provide her a copy of my Social Security Card. I told her I do have my U.S. Passport, my old California ID and a bill from the water company showing proof of my residency her in Washington. She insists that I need to send her a copy of my Social Security or else she wouldn't be able to activate my prepaid card. She said this is a Paypal Requirements. 

Now please show me where that requirement is on their policies and procedures that they will not take my U.S. Passport as a verifiable document and that I must submit with my U.S. Passport a copy of my Social Security Card. 

Then I will shut up and I will eat my temporary card...:-)

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You either provide the documentation requested or you don't get access.

If you don't agree, it's OK.  PayPal doesn't need your account.  PayPal doesn't negotiate security and regulatory requirements.

Login to Me Too

deannaplowman2
New Community Member
Of course you would say that because you work for them! The problem is this is a PREPAID card. Something someone uses when there down on there luck and need money on hand and PayPal takes advantage of that!! I have never gone through so many leaps and bounds to spend my own money!!
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

my question is-

why do you keep them in safe deposit box in CA when you have moved to another state?

It is kind of odd that they ask for a copy of your SS card,they sell these cards in drug stores,any one can get one Unless

your card has been stolen or reported stolen or someone is using it?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.