Identification requirements for PayPal Prepaid Mastercard

nickalcid
Contributor
Contributor

I was just on the phone with customer service and I'm always glad that Paypal will do that extra mile to prove your identity. But when they ask you for documents and the fact that I just moved from California to Washington. I have never had to provide a copy of my social security card. I placed my social security in my safety deposit box in california and the customer service lady insisted that paypal document team will deny my proof of identification without it. I told her what I had to provide, one I always carry my U.S. Passport and my ID. But since moving to Washington I have few days until I can get my ID in the mail. My U.S. Passport is valid until next year, and this document supercedes any other document other than my Birth Certificate which is also in my safety deposit box. 

If paypal would refuse my U.S. Passport as a valid identification and still require me to show them a copy of my social securty catrd, then HOUSTON we've got a problem. 

First of all, it is unconstitutional if this was a face to face transaction and I showed my US Passport and you denied my passport as valid identification. My U.S. Passport can take me places other countries wish they can go, but not my social security card. 

This is a Prepaid Card. I would have to load money to use my own money and I would get charged a fee even when I load it or use it. I am a United States Citizen and therefore will take a heavier action if this ruling is not fixed. I have been a paypal member since it started. I had to change my account due to fraud. I will not let this happen again or for anyone else that is being denied to just get a piece of plastic that we can't use unless WE load it.

I have had to go through this issue once, and I'm not going to let it happen again and again and again.

If anyone in this community especially Paypal please investigate this issue, I will send you my document or my U.S. Passport and activate my Prepaid card. Just let me know where to send it. 

If there are any U.S. Attorney's on this community please contact me ASAP. 

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nickalcid wrote:

Then I will shut up and I will eat my temporary card...:-)

Better get out your knife and fork Smiley Happy

https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/account/terms/PayPalPrepaid-Cardholder-Agreement-103013.pdf

OBTAINING YOUR CARD

The USA PATRIOT Act is a federal law that requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who obtains a Card Account. What this means for you: When you request a Card Account, we will ask for your name, street address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to reasonably verify your identity. We may also ask for your driver’s license or other identifying documents at any time. The same identification verification requirements apply to each Secondary Cardholder, if any are designated by you.

Because PayPal is a financial instrument, it requires your tax ID number.  Bon Appetite!  Smiley Wink

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.