Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't generate a PayPal Cash bar code on my PayPal Business account.

paypal cash "Add Money at a Store" does not work

For 3 days  "Add money at a Store" when I hit it says "Oops! Something when wrong. Please try again."

I have call PayPal without any help. Says tech dept will look into it. I didn't believe them. Couldn't hardly understand the person.

Told to try a different browser. That didn't work. 

Tags (1)

Re: paypal cash "Add Money at a Store" does not work

It's frustrating. I'm still waiting for a response through Paypal's messaging system. Also found that someone sent @AskPayPal about it on Twitter and crickets. I did the same.

I've been trying for 5 days now to reload my account via the Add Cash feature.  There's no question Paypal is well aware of the problem but Customer Service and any sort of online Paypal "Help" is either clueless or willfully avoiding the truth about what the real issue is.  The fact that they haven't issued any kind of Notification or Messaged customers about this key issue nearly a week into the problem is unfortunately very telling that there is a deeper problem than simply a glitch in the software or some sort of update being done.

The way this is going down, it's very similar to how Paypal handled the abrupt switch away from the My Cash re-loadable cards to Green Dot less than a year ago leaving customers to figure out the change on their own.  Quite honestly, I would not be surprised that Paypal has severed ties with Green Dot, the company that was handling this service.

I received the following from PayPal  after sending them my problem by email just a a few hours ago.

Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support. My name is Brittaney and I am happy to assist you. I definitely understand your frustrations with not being able to add money to your account.

The issue you are experiencing with the Add Money at a Store is something we are working on. We have submitted this issue over to our engineers, who are currently working to resolve this issue. We do not have a timeframe to provide at this time but we will have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

As of right now I recommend trying a different option to get money added to your account. We have the add money with a bank account or if you have a friend or a family member with a PayPal account, they could send you money from their account to yours. I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

Thank you for being the best part of PayPal and enjoy your day!

Don't forget, we're always around if you need us. Just click "Help" in the top right corner of any PayPal page to visit our improved Help Center. 

Add your mobile number to your PayPal account so we can reach you right away if we ever need to verify account activity with you. Simply log in to your PayPal account, click "Profile" near the top of the page and then click "Update" beside "Phone."

You can also make and receive payments with your mobile phone when you add it to your PayPal account. After you confirm your number and create a PIN, you'll be able to get money, send money, check your balance, or manage your account from your phone using simple text messages.

PayPal Customer Solutions

I got a similar response via email. It fortunately looks like Planetary's suspicions that they're dumping the service may be wrong and it is just a bug in the system that they're working on.

It's now been 11 days. There is no way this is a basic "update" although they claim it is. An "update" does not shut down a vital part of their servace for this long with no end in sight (they still cannot estimate when the "update" will be complete). So, maybe they found a huge gaping security flaw that requires completely rebuilding that system from the ground up, or,  they are getting rid of Green Dot as service provider, or they are eliminating this feature altogether. Whatever the cause, they are being purposefully deceptive about it. What is the alternative to paypal for online payment? Might be time to find an alternative.

Tags (2)

The people are always the ones to sufferer. I am tired of everyone running and interfering with our lives. Just like the government. I hope who ever caused this has their lives disrupted as much as ours from this.

FYI, I found out this morning that the "Add money at store" feature works through the Paypal App which is available at google play and any app store like amazon etc. I used it this morning.

Tags (2)

I tried the Android app and it appears to work although I just conducted a test and didn't actually carry through and deposit cash at my local Rite-Aid store.  I may do that today or tomorrow.

The support babble quoted above is almost verbatim the same thing I was told; just different enough that it's a bit more than a simple cut-and-paste reply (support staff at least have to paraphrase a script).  The goal is clearly one I've seen more times from more sources than I care to recall; say something soothing and polite without saying anything of substance.

From a technical perspective I find it interesting that the browser/website approach is consistently failing but the app is not.  If you watch the URLs you go through in your browser you never appear to actually leave PayPal; whether this implies the problem is on the PayPal end, the Green Dot end or the plug is being pulled I don't know.  I do know that this kind of problem breeds speculation and this, plus PayPal's lack of useful response, is not good for their reputation.  Do they care?

At this point if I had to guess (what choice do I have?) I'd say that either a) PayPal has tech support management staff who cannot properly orchestrate change or sensitive maintenance with appropriate backup/recovery plans in place should a feature like this disintegrate, or b) they wish to force customers to use only their mobile apps, perhaps eliminating Green Dot from the equation.

New Community Member

Appears To Be No More Ability to Print A Barcode To Add Money At Stores?

For several weeks now I have tried to print out a bar code so I can go to my friendly neighborhood CVS and add money to my PP account.  Every time I try to access that page it comes back with the overly cute "Oops something went wrong" silliness.  I can't create a barcode with my desktop.

However, I can create the one-hour barcode with my iPhone.  So I've been able to do this adding, but on-screen barcodes are harder to read than paper, and one CVS was very reluctant to do it.

So, are you phasing out barcodes on paper?  Do you have a problem you'd like to address?  I'd like to hear what's going on.