Debit card w/ Bank account as backup funding

imrazor
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in a bit of pickle for the next couple of days as my bank debit card has gone AWOL over the weekend, and the bank doesn't open until Tuesday. I do have an old debit card (had to cancel due to identity theft, forgot to update it) and an active, verified bank account on my Paypal account. My Paypal balance is near zero, so if I buy something with the Paypal card will it draw automatically from the bank account? I did go in to my settings and make the bank account my "backup funding" source.

I'm confused by the whole 3 - 5 days to process an ACH transaction issue...

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

what do all these debit transactions say-pending,completed?

There are 4 levels of ACH,slowest and free is what Paypal uses,it takes 3-4 days,then give your bank a day to allocate among its accounts.

These are all done by computers,I am afraid computers do not rest on weekend and holiday.

YOU should go online and check your bank account to see if there is any new activity ,and if I were you,deposit some fund into your account either using the ATM or online transfer from another account ,if there is another account with in or outside this bank.

And make a reminder to yourself to do a better job managing your finance,NSF fee is pretty stiff these days !@   

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I just reread your thread,you have an old bank debit card which is no longer any good,but it is still registered with Paypal.

and you have gone wild shopping this weekend with a new bank debit card? so you want to know if all the debit activities will show up in your bank account soon?

in the mean time,you will like to buy something using Paypal account which has a zero balance?so I would assume Paypal will take the $$ from your bank account?

We dont have XRAY eyes,we dont know how much money you have in your bank account,if you have oodles ,then what is the worry?

only you know how much you have in your bank account,there is no float game here,just debits all the way .  

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You have a "lost" debit card and you haven't notified your bank yet?  This is an emergency situation and reputable banks have emergency phone numbers for this.  You need to cancel that debit card to make sure it doesn't get get used.  This means you cannot use that card number for ANY purchases either directly or indirectly until you get a replacement card; stop buying now!  You risk depleting your bank acocunt if your don't take emergency steps.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations

he has informed the bank of the lost debit card,they issue him a new card,and he has been shopping with it.

He never bother to remove/replace his old lost debit card in his Paypal account.

Now he was on a spending spree with his new card over the weekend,so these transactions will be deducted from his bank account .

He is asking if he wants to use his Paypal account which has zero money and expired debit card, to buy more ,what would happen?

My advice is get off this spending spree and take a cold shower!   

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you buy something with the PayPal debit card and you do not have enough in the balance, it shound take the remainder amount from your bank account as back up payment in generally 3-5 business days.  Payments from bank are not instant, it depends on how fast your bank process it's transactions.  Obviously it's a holiday and banks don't process their backlog of transactions until the next open business day.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

imrazor
Contributor
Contributor

OK, let me try explaining a little more clearly and in chronological order. Last month some fraudster in CA made a withdrawal from my bank account using a phony ATM card with my account number on it (not the Paypal debit card.) I cancelled the card, and the bank refunded my money. I got a new bank debit card and used it for a while. I forgot to update my Paypal account with the new debit card, and the cancelled card is still on my Paypal account.

Over the weekend my significant other was grocery shopping, and misplaced my new bank debit card. She probably misplaced it  in the house somewhere, and we're still looking for it. There's no current suspicious activity on my bank account. Now we need a few groceries to tide us over until Tuesday, when I can hopefully get a new debit card from the bank.

Which leads me back to my question. I switched the "backup funding source" from the old debit card to a direct withdrawal from the bank. There is some money in the bank, I just currently don't have any way to access it *except* the Paypal debit card. If I have zero dollars (or nearly so) on my Paypal account, can I still make a purchase or withdraw cash with the Paypal card? Will it be debited instantly, or take a few days to clear?

And one final clarification. Our Paypal balance is normally near zero. Since my SO's kidneys failed, we haven't had much time for business. So no wild shopping spree this weekend - just trying to get groceries.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

ok,now I understand clearer.

Your significant other misplaced or lost the replaced bank debit card.

But you have a Paypal business debit card and some money in the bank account but zero balance in Paypal account.

In the past,if you use your PAYPal business debit card and go shopping,say grocery,Paypal realises you have zero Paypal fund,it will reach into your bank account ,it could take 3-5 days for that transaction to hit your bank account.

But lately many members are complaining having problems with their business debit card,they are declined and when they call Paypal,Paypal may fix it and it is good for one try and then back to being declined.

then they were told they must have fund in their paypal account,having  a bank back up is no good.

why dont you first try to withdraw at ATM machine and see if it works.

then  go grocery  shopping with it and see if it works.

you dont want to stand inline with bags of grocery and then find out the card does not work.

I used mine yesterday as a credit card at Office Depot and a supermarket,it works,but I have fund in my paypal account.

Past week,I tried to use it online and it did not work? 

Login to Me Too

imrazor
Contributor
Contributor

@Whac-A-MoleOK, I went ahead and tried it out. Fortunately, we got a gift card to a local grocery store this Christmas. So I went to the grocery store and bought a few things, but the total exceeded the gift card, so I charged the remaining $5 or so to the Paypal debit card. It actually went through. Now I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to charge hundreds of dollars to it, but at least it worked for this little bit. I'm hesitant to try an ATM, because I think that's considered a different transaction type (cash advance or something) so I think it's handled/approved differently. Anyway, we now have enough food to last a  few days - enough time to find the bank debit card, or get a replacement. Thanks to all of those who replied.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

If you buy something with the PayPal debit card and you do not have enough in the balance, it shound take the remainder amount from your bank account as back up payment in generally 3-5 business days.  Payments from bank are not instant, it depends on how fast your bank process it's transactions.  Obviously it's a holiday and banks don't process their backlog of transactions until the next open business day.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.