Can the PayPal Here device be paired with multi devices.

ozstar
Contributor
Contributor

Having trouble connecting to or staying connected to the device.

Would it be a problem if the reader device is paired with more than 1 device?

I am trying with a Galaxy S4,   5.01 os

Ipad 3  latest os

Galaxy Note 5   7.01 os   which sometimes works okay.

and Generic Android KitKat 4.4.2 tablet.

They all can show that it is paired, yet in the PPH app it says not connected.

Maybe I should unpair all except 1 ?

I have been old by phone papal support that if it works with 1 device it should with all devices and the prob would be with the other devices not the PPH reader.

Advice please?

oz

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Normally I would just turn off blue tooth for a host device as that woul disconnect any paired device.  In your case, there are issues, that's the reason I suggest turnning each device OFF (that's all host deviices AND bluetooh devicie and then just turn on the host and others in sequence suggested.  The idea is to elminate anything that might cause a problem,.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You missed that detail in your previous discussions.

Generally you cannot pair multiple bluetooth host devices to a singel blue tooth device.  Normally, you would not be able to connect a second host if the bluetooth devicie is connected to another host.

Make sure all other host devices are powered off or at least bluetooth disabled and then pair and connect the PayPal Here reader to the on host device you have active.

I think it would be an obvious issue if 2 hosts actually connected to the PayPal Here reader at the same time.

When you turn off the reader it would automatically unpair or unconnect.  When you turn on the bluetooth device it would attempt to re-connect to the last pairing when powered on.  So, turn off all deviices and then turn on the one host device you want to use, then turn on the reader, and then open the PayPal Here app.  You may have to go to your bluetooth settins to connect.

With my bluetooth speaker I need to make sure one host devices is off/disabled before I attempt to connect the speaker from another host devicie.

Login to Me Too

ozstar
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry didn't mention it as I never thought it would effect if in fact it didn't work.

Would I have to actually turn the phones or bluetooth off, or just unpair?

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Normally I would just turn off blue tooth for a host device as that woul disconnect any paired device.  In your case, there are issues, that's the reason I suggest turnning each device OFF (that's all host deviices AND bluetooh devicie and then just turn on the host and others in sequence suggested.  The idea is to elminate anything that might cause a problem,.

Login to Me Too

ozstar
Contributor
Contributor

Wel, you hit the nail on the head fo sho !

I have the Android tab working now with all others off at first now on again. 

I have also unpaired the raeder from all so hope that wehn I turn the bluetooth on for other pairing, it will still work.

I did notice that it disconnecetd after a few mins and the reader LED  went blank however on the tab I reconnecetd and it was fine.  I am leaving them both connecetd tp see if they drop out.

One thing tho'.  I am here in my office with WiFi coming out the ying yang but where I will be using the device there willbe no wifi and the tablet does not have a sim.

I think it has to be connecetd to the internet not just to each other.   This would be a pain as I do want to use the bigger tab rather than a small phone which is harder to read in dim light.

I appreciate your help and perseverance !

oz

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

When using the reader, it may go to sleep and conserve battery usage.  You host device may also go to sleep.  What seems to be the most reliable way to make sure they reconnect is to tap any reader key to wake it up and then immediately wake up the host device.  Some of the re-connecting issues have supposedly been fixed with updates.

You will need an internet connection for the tablet to work.  If you Android phone has internet connection, you could use that instead of the tablet.  Just make sure the reader is diconnected from the tablet and the table powered off when you start the phone and pair with reader.

In the U. S.  I have a Verizon WiFi hot spot and use that to connect the table to the internet.  It then allows me to use Facebook on the tablet.

By the way, I also have a bluetooth receipt printer which works great with PayPal Here app.

Here's hoping it all works great now.  It's all a good learning experience here also.

Login to Me Too

ozstar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again.  Yes I will look and see if the 'sleep' time in the tablet can be extented and may call PapPal agan and see if they have or can fix the reader as if is a problem if trying to sell to peole and this happens. Customers just walk away.

I too use my Galaxy phone as a hot spot for mjy laptop so may look at that option. Would rather the bigger screen of the tab if possible.

I am interesetd in the printer you speak of. Can you tell me what it is please?

oz

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Printer is a Woosim R241; the U. S. distributor is in San Diago, CA but the printer comes from Asia.

Woosim works with PayPal to make sure it is compatible with the app; the printer works witrh iOS and Android with a slight setup change.

Cost is about US$200.  Customers are impressed to get a printed receipt which shows all of the items from the app receipt list.

By the way, I like the bar code option with the app.  I create a bar code online for each item, print the code and attach to an item.  Then, manage inventory from the app.  Find the item, scan the bar code and it now identifies the item.  At time of sale, point your camera at the bar code and the item is ready to add to the sale list.  (Square does not have the option.)

Login to Me Too

ozstar
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, looks like you have itall happening. After a lot of work I imagine.

I am now trying to reconnect after the drop off.   

In the app it just keeps saying it is 'Disconnected'. 

I have turned bluetooth off and on again and no dif.  The reader light is flashing endlessly but still no connect.

I will keep trying a few things.

oz

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

A few options.

Turn off the reader and when it comes full on, try to connect from the app.

Another option:  log out of the app and then log in to see if it connects.  Activiate the blue tooth button on the reader.

Log out of the app.  Turn off the reader.  Then turn on reader and log back in.

I think it's just a matter finding the sequence that works.  When disconnects happen because deivices to to sleep, the order of wakeup matters.  Reader first.

The reader does consume signifcant power when on; 6 hours may be all you can get if the reader does not power down when not active.

Mine generally re-conects when needed; the newer Android version might help, but that's a guess.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.