Business Debit Card no longer works without regular transfers from backup source

jjprieve
Contributor
Contributor

I have been a Paypal member since 2002, and never had a problem using the Paypal Business Debit Card for transactions when I had no funds in my account (pull 100% from my backup fund source). Been using this card that way since day 1. Until this month that is. Now every transaction is declined if there isn't 100% of the funds already in my Paypal account. What is the point of a backup fund source if I have to have the funds already in the Paypal account?

In calling customer service, they say that this is a new fraud protection system they have in place. Well, I have a 14 year history of NOT making fraudulent transactions, so this is absolutely garbage. I'm not going to predict how much I'm going to use my Paypal account in a given week, then transfer that amount over at least 3 days in advance so the transaction will clear. That makes the cashback no longer worthwhile.

I'm incredibly disappointed by this change in policy (which I cannot find any trace of on paypal.com). I could understand if it was something that was applied to new accounts, to prevent fraudulent transactions, but I have a perfect 14 year history with this company. I would think that is worth something. Instead, I guess I'll just go back to using my bank card, and cut paypal out of the transaction. They're losing a long-standing customer for this. I'm shredding my PayPal Business Debit Card now.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I used my Paypal business debit card last week on a site which takes debit and credit card,and it was declined twice.

But then I received 2 emails from Paypal saying I have made payments.

When I go to my Paypal account,I found both transactions cancelled.

I have plenty of money in my Paypal account,I dont need backup from bank/

I dont think PAYPAL reps know what they are talking about.

Login to Me Too

Noncon
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, the CSR thanked me for being with PayPal 16 years, gave me the line about it's a new security measure.  Said just keep putting funds in the PayPal account sooner or later it will build up a history of transfers.  Told her the 'history of transfers'  should have been the hundreds of transactions a year with no issues from my bank transferring the funds over those 16 years.

Anyway, I cancelled both mine and my wife's cards (who is still **bleep** her cell phone service was suspended due to PP declining payment). 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.