Binding arbitration policy change/statement

RedDawgEsq
Contributor
Contributor

I am very confused about the recent policy change/statement about binding arbitration, particularly this statement:

Unless you opt out: (1) you will only be permitted to pursue claims against PayPal on an individual basis, not as a plaintiff or class member in any class or representative action or proceeding and (2) you will only be permitted to seek relief (including monetary, injunctive, and declaratory relief) on an individual basis.

Shouldn't the word "Unless" be "If"?

Login to Me Too
161 REPLIES 161

OptOutHow
Contributor
Contributor

call Login, Click "Contact Us", Click "Call Us" and wade through the menus (say operater a dozen time).

Login to Me Too

lsmlaw92
New Community Member

This information is incorrect. There is no opt out button. Please advise out an email can be sent to you to confirm the opt-out and the mailing of the opt-out, which I have sent today. Please amend this obstacle and create an honest opt-out provision. Thank you

Login to Me Too

namfan
New Community Member

If you want to get the attention of the folks at PayPal, simply send a letter to your State Attorney General stating that you feel that the user agreement Pay Pal is using limits the consumer protections of the citizens of your state. 

This is by far the most effective method because the Attorney General can seek answers from PayPal that they must answer or they can ultimately be banned from doing business in that state. 

Login to Me Too

cancellara

This is typical. A printed hard copy letter must be delivered to San Jose via USPS snail mail to opt out.

Paypal is an ONLINE service. . . but we can only protect our legal rights by sending them notice a paper notice.

Login to Me Too

temp201903281e
Contributor
Contributor
considering: 1) paypal is requesting photo copies of documents that could allow them to commit identity theft 2) paypal is restricting use of accounts until these documents are produced, people who don't have these documents are assumed to be liars 3) that restriction of use came without warning 4) the paypal login no longer works right 5) paypal has changed the user agreement to bar fair lawsuits unless the users opt-out 6) that opt-out process is very difficult 7) it took me several tries to log into this forum I have lost confidence in paypal. I feel that they really need to show some good faith so that I can trust them again. I have submitted the requested documents to the best of my ability even though it is a very serious risk to my personal security to do so. If the functionality of my paypal account is not restored Monday morning when I need it, I will be looking for an alternative to paypal.
Login to Me Too

mfoytek
New Community Member

It should be made easy to opt out of this agreement. A link on pay pal should be made available. I have problems writing with my hands and have no one to help me, consider that next time you say it must be in writing and sent through the mail. I want to opt out because I have a 1,200.00 dollars that goes way back when pay pal opened. They have made billions of dollars since then and you would think they would of learned that they should pay off what they owe people. I like pay pal but they have turned into a big business that only looks out for themselves money wise. I would like the money I lost when they didn't have policy in place to protect people. It happened to me way back then, but now with new policy going into place I will lose that money and any chance of getting it back. Thanks for nothing I guess will be my response to the new Agreement to Arbitrate (Section 14.3) going into effect on December 1, 2012.

Login to Me Too

bek
Contributor
Contributor

This is ridiculous.

Paypal is making it difficult to opt out, then when people complain, you direct us to a feedback forum.  Clearly, you already know you've made it difficult for us to opt out, so why would you care what we think about it?  You already knew we wouldn't like it!

I'm taking the time, money, and effort to write a paper letter and opt out.  Considering the careful way and intent in which your company has crafted this agreement and how you want us to opt out, I think it's obvious I need to send it registered mail.

Login to Me Too

justmebyebye
Contributor
Contributor

I did not have to send you anything by regular mai to open my account.Why do I now have to do that in order to opt out?Seems you just want to make it hard for someone to opt out.

Login to Me Too

landtodd
New Community Member

Noting the high-handed way PayPal is treating us, the users, I think I'm going to close my account.

Login to Me Too

imnotrich
New Community Member

Due to some past negative experiences with Pay Pal, I am alarmed by the recent policy change requiring that in the event of a dispute between members and Pay Pal us members are required with NO OPTION to use binding arbitration or sue as individuals. 

Unless we opt out before December 1st, 2012 we're screwed because we lose our right to sue as a part of a class action or similar action against Pay Pal. 

Problem is, Pay Pal has seemingly hidden the links/url/procedure to opt out. 

Does anyone know how to opt out? I don't really want to spend 3 hours in the queue to speak to some rudimentary if any English speaking call center in India or elsewhere, and in the past Pay Pal hasn't been very responsive to e-mail inquiries either. 

So what to do? 

Anybody address this yet with their own account?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.