Paypal credit & eBay MasterCard question

nicholasn
Contributor
Contributor

Howdy, 

Recently I applied for paypal credit line and got approved, and  I already have ebay mastercard. now each time I try to buy something from any website using paypal option, it takes me to the paypal login page and I cannot choose the paypal credit as payment method! I have only ebay mastercard and my bank account. when I tried to connect my paypal credit with paypal account using paypalcredit.com, it says that I cannot do that because my account is already linked to ebay mastercard ! I talked to the customers service agent, and she asked me to call ebay to unlink thier card, I called ebay they said the cannot do that and i should as paypal to unlink it. Now I am wondering, how can I use my paypal credit ? and if I unlink ebay card from my paypal, how can I acess it and pay the due amounts ?

Please help

Thanks

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

nicholasn
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody can help ? Smiley Indifferent

Login to Me Too

TomChicago
Contributor
Contributor

I went through the exact same thing. I fought with their website automation for days, and made repeated calls to customer service at both offices, eBay and PayPal, just as you did.

After talking to at least a dozen different customer agents on the phone, I finally got to the bottom of it.

This is basically the explanation they gave me: 

Because I already have my eBay Mastercard "linked" to my PayPal account for making payments, I cannot "link" any other method, including PayPal Credit. For whatever stupid reason, they have programmed their system so it is impossible to break that linkage and start over. You're stuck with it. 

They suggested this work-around: 

Create new, additional accounts, one for eBay and one for PayPal, just as though I was a brand new customer. Their system did not balk at this -- in other words, it did not set off any alarm bells that my real name is in their system twice.  But I had to cook up new user/log-in names. 

Once I had my new eBay and new PayPal accounts installed, I linked the PayPal Credit line as the automatic-preferred method of payment. Everything has worked fine since then. 

One downside is that I have a 400+ positive "feedback" score on eBay. Plus my address, bank account, credit card, all those items, have long been in "verified" status. You can't transfer those advantages over to a new account.  However....... 

Remember that you are NOT required to close your existing accounts to do this set-up. Your originals are still open. It's just that you wind up with two of each.

I still have the advantages of my long-established account, and that is the one I use most often. But whenever I want to utilize PayPal Credit for making a purchase, I use the new accounts.

One word of warning: Occasionally, you will see a seller's eBay page where it shows PayPal Credit as an acceptable payment option, but when you try to pay, it will not work. This only happens once in a great while. There doesn't seem to be any way around it -- just give up and find another seller. 

One final note: To me, this whole business of making people open a second account seemed like a goofball solution. But they simply don't offer any other way to do it. (believe me, I tried.)  Still, even though it was cumbersome, now that everything is up and running, I will say, it works OK. And I'm glad to have the PayPal Credit option available. 

Login to Me Too

Absinthena
New Community Member

Hey - I just saw this post and it is exactly the issue I am having. I just gave myself a headache trying to talk to both PayPal and Ebay.  

My Ebay Mastercard was from eons ago and not even active, yet still... 

I was wondering, since you seem to have gotten an even worse headache than myself - I already won the auction I wanted to pay with using PayPal Credit's 6 months no interest option. Can I set up another PayPal account and link it to my regular Ebay account, then use the PayPal Credit plan? (Or would it take too many days or cause some other ridiculous hiccup?)

Login to Me Too

TomChicago
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.... 

I really have no idea on that, because it's different from what I experienced. 

I would say give it a try -- it can't hurt. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.