Paypal Debit Card Notification emails not working since 9/23/2014

minaise
Contributor
Contributor

As of today Oct 2nd 2014 it's a week since the PP Debit card notification emails have not been working, at all.

I've verified with other PP debit card holders that theirs are also not working.

Initially when I contacted PP about this on the 24th I was informed that PP was not aware of such an issue, when I insisted that it is NOT some issue with my emails or spam filters (I've been a PP debit card holder for well over a decade & avid user) there was some info found that "some users" were having issues.

Having tried to get more information about this I was told in writing that the issue should be resolved by Monday Sept 30th 2014, needless to say this never happened.

As of right now it seems like this is an issue for all such card holders based on the info I have retireved by asking around (I think it is highly unlikely that specifically the people I happen to know would all be in the category of "some users").

So at this point I would ike to know what the REAL story is, needless to say it doesn't take a week in 2014 to figure out what the technical issue is of this sort. Mind you this is a feature that was available from day one of PP debit cards, and has worked somewhat reliably since then with some outages at times.

It would appear something else is going on at this point, related to the ongoing split from eBay? Security issues? Other internal political issues? Something in the "explanations" provided don't add up!

Login to Me Too
75 REPLIES 75

minaise
Contributor
Contributor
jkk808, No ETA no, they don't know what's causing it they say. And just yesterday (in direct contrast to what I was told in writing some days ago) it is NOT affecting everyone the supervisor I spoke to told me. Now interesting that supervisor told me he too had a card and his notifications weren't working. Now that's where this got interesting, both of the accounts in our family that isn't getting notifications had cars compromised in the past 2-3 months as did the supervisors card who said his notifications were not working. So ALL you who aren't seeing notifications has a PayPal card of yours been compromised in the last months for you?
Login to Me Too

at96mh04
Contributor
Contributor
I too am no longer receiving email notifications for my debit Mastercard transactions. I don't know the exact date it started, but it has been a couple of weeks. And yes, my card information was used to make 3 fraudulent charges about a month ago. It was caught so soon because I was getting those email notifications at the time. Had they not come through, I wouldn't have noticed until they hit my bank. My other dilemma is my card will no longer approve any charge over $30. Started about the time the notifications stopped arriving. However, my husband has an additional card on the same account and his seems to work fine. Just paid the cable bill of $126 with it this morning and it approved. So I'm not sure what amount his card will start declining at. But it's more than mine. Needless to say, having several issues with PayPal's debit card. I've called in and sent numerous emails and no one knows why it's happening. But according to them, several people are experiencing issues and they're working on them.
Login to Me Too

minaise
Contributor
Contributor
at96mh04, You can check and change the maximum allowed charge per day on your account for the individual cards. Thank you for confirming that your card too was used for fraudulent charges, please EVERYONE in the same situation please post and share! Maybe we're on to something here, and if we are I have a feeling they might have some serious problem internally going on with either some vicious software or indivudal(s) at PP!
Login to Me Too

howarmat
Contributor
Contributor
Mine was part of the target breach last year. But this card has not been compromised that I am aware of. No notification from purchases since Sept 23 or so I think
Login to Me Too

minaise
Contributor
Contributor
howarmat, Ok but so your account does then have a fairly recent "stolen or lost" listing on it, I just checked, I can't see it anymore but I used to be able to see all my previously closed cards on my account, it's only the second time I'm closing a card with paypal, previous time the card physically wore out and the only way to get a new one was to report it as stolen (years and years ago)
Login to Me Too

howarmat
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I can still see the old account listed
Login to Me Too

minaise
Contributor
Contributor
howarmat, Ok maybe I didn't look closely enough, but yeah basically it COULD be easy for someone inside PP to see who's had cards compromised and yeah...kill the notification emails. I am not claiming this is the case, only saying the possibility would be there! Also the issue of them looking for the problem for now close to two weeks (half a month) also would indicate something else than a normal technical issue is the root cause.... Keep the posts coming about your missing notifications and cards being compromised! If we get enough input on this I might just call back in and turn their attention to this thread, the supervisor I spoke to yesterday after I gave a piece of mind on this joke actually listened and wanted my input. We actually got beyond the normal "let's see what copy and paste answer I should give you this time" runaround one usually gets from ANY INC's customer service!
Login to Me Too

minaise
Contributor
Contributor
One more input I am not able to post anymore from my Mac using any browser, so I am using my mobile devices but they can't do the quote etc. Just a heads up incase others can't post like that either, or perhaps it was blocked on my account after I posted the link to how I think PayPal could have an update webpage like eBay announcement with the link to it.
Login to Me Too

at96mh04
Contributor
Contributor
I used to have a backup funding limit on each card. I believe it was set at $1000. But since June the limit has been lifted to $3000 per card. I used my card to make a $1100.00 purchase a few weeks ago with no issues. I know that if you have a large amount pending, your card may not work until some of those charges have completed and PayPal has received funds. That has happened to me a couple of times. But my limit still says $3000 per day and it won't let me charge more than $30 at a time. Very annoying to say the least. I enjoy the cash back rewards:0) I'm planning on calling PayPal again today about the card declining and will definitely ask again about the email notifications not working.
Login to Me Too

SpeedBeatz
New Community Member

As of some point after September 21, I and at least one other user have stopped recieving PayPal Debit MasterCard-related emails from PayPal.  When I realized this today, I went to my account settings and noticed that in the Notifications section, the check box for "I make a purchase with my PayPal ATM/Debit Card" under "Payment Notifications" was unchecked.  I checked it and saved my settings, which caused me to recieve a "Your Preferences have been changed" email.  I assumed all was fine, but after making another debit card purchase a few minutes ago I realized I still had not received an email.  Upon re-checking my notification settings, the Debit Card notifications were mysteriously turned off again.  No matter how many times I check the box, save my settings, and even receive an email confirming the change, when I go back into the notification settings the check box is cleared once again.

This issue caused me to be unaware of my bank account unexpectedly being used backup funding, which has led to an overdraft fee from my bank.  As I know at least one other user with the issue it's likely to be widespread or even universal, which is definitely a pretty big problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.