Mastercharge numbers don't match.

oldsalt19
Contributor
Contributor

I have a brand new PP mastercharge extras card.  I called the number on the sticker & activated it.  The automated response said that everything was fine and that I could use the card now.  I tried to use it at Amazon but they said it wouldn't work.  I logged on to my PP account and they listed my new card with the last 4 numbers.  These digits did not match what was on the card.  The last digit was one number off.  I finally got through to a real live person  (in India, from the accent) and he told me that my card had not been activated yet (??) so he activated it.  I ask about the number mismatch and he said the the online last four digits belonged to a "temporary number."  Somehow none of this seems right.  Any explanations?  I'm going out to do some shopping now.  We'll see...

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

oldsalt19 -

Welcome to the Community!

First, a big kudos to you for keeping a close eye on your account and noticing the fine details.  Both your eyes and the representative you spoke with are correct - the number was indeed different.

When you apply for and are instantly approved for a PayPal Extras MasterCard, a temporary card number is attached directly to your PayPal account.  This allows you to use the card online immediately via your PayPal account (at a reduced limit until the physical card is activated). 

Once the physical card is activated, you should see the PayPal account information update within 24 hours.  If after a few days it hasn't changed to the correct card number, give the customer service number on the back of the card a call and let them know you need to have your card manually linked to PayPal.  They'll take care of the rest from there.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.