Backup funding for Paypal Debit Master Card

janie500
Contributor
Contributor

I'm about to receive a Paypal Debit Master Card.  Can I use Paypal credit for backup funding for my Paypal Debit Master Card rather than my bank, other credit card, etc?  

I want to make IN-STORE purchases with this card and have it charged to my Paypal CREDIT balance..

Can I do this?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Nicole

Hi janie500,

Thank you for posting on the PayPal Community Help Forum.

PayPal Credit cannot be used as a backup funding source for the PayPal Debit MasterCard.

Thank you,
Nicole
PayPal Credit
Login to Me Too

Sfrazier
New Community Member

Hello,

I've read some people can link their Smart connect account as a backup funding source to their Paypay debit mastercard. 

Why can't the same be done with Paypal credit account

Login to Me Too

BlakeC
New Community Member

So, I can't use my PayPal creidt for backup but I can use a PayPal Extras Credit Card for backup? Well....I can't use a PayPal Extras Credit Card because I already have PayPal credit. Do you see the dilemma here? Doesn't really make any sense. Just let us use our PayPal credit for backup.

Login to Me Too

smartrhonda
Contributor
Contributor
I am trying to add cash to my PayPal Business Debit Card! I inquired or purchased the following based on advice from PayPal Agent. Called about MoneyGram; can not be used to transfer funds. 1. Green Dot Gold (Online Shopping) Card; Green Dot can NOT be used for business. 2. PayPal PREPAID MASTERCARD. I Must wait for a permanent card; I can not add or transfer money from PP Prepaid card TO PP Business Debt Card with the new *temporary card. SUPER DIFFICULT OR IMPOSSIBLE TO ADD $$$$$ Unless connected to a bank. Respectfully,
Login to Me Too

Deuces_Design
New Community Member

I have been following this issue for over a year.
Why is this still unresolved?
Why has this feature still not been enabled?

This issue seems like a no-brainer, "PayPal Credit" equals "PayPal funds".
The sole reason I aplied for "PayPal Credit" was to use it as a funding source.
PayPal Mastercard can be used as a back up funding source for PayPal Debit Mastercard. But PayPal Credit can't be?

Why is this still an issue after over a year?

@PayPal_Nicole wrote:

Hi janie500,

Thank you for posting on the PayPal Community Help Forum.

PayPal Credit cannot be used as a backup funding source for the PayPal Debit MasterCard.

Login to Me Too

PaperCraftLady
Contributor
Contributor

I'm confused...  then what CAN Paypal credit be used for - the one that replaced Bill Me Later????  I was allowed to use it for my initial purchase upon application for the credit (I never bothered to apply for Bill Me Later).  I keep changing it to be my backup funding source but everytime I purchase something that I KNOW my Paypal balance cannot cover and DON'T WANT my regular bank debit card to cover it, it magically changes back to my regular bank debit card and that gets charged instead!!  If I had known, I would have used one of my credit cards!!

This has happened with online purchases as well as in-store purchases.

That being said, WHEN CAN I use my Payal credit of $2000????

UGH!!!

Login to Me Too

janie500
Contributor
Contributor

You can't.  Paypal Credit Account will NOT ever use your Paypal Credit Account for backup funding for your Paypal Debit Master Card.  .

There are two kinds of Paypal accounts for the average person.  A regular Paypal account, and a Paypal Credit Account (formerly "Bill Me Later.")  

The regular Paypal account can issue you a Paypal Debit Master Card, which first uses your Paypal balance and then your backup funds, which can ONLY be one of your credit cards or your checking account.  So, sadly, Paypal will NEVER use your Paypal Credit Account to fund your Paypal Debit Card.  Your Paypal Debit Card can be used everwhere Master Card is accepted, but I find no point in having it since it just deducts everything from my checking account the same as my checking ATM card does.

Now the Paypal Credit Account (formerly "Bill Me Later."), CAN be used for something, which is to charge your online purchases to your lovely Credit Account available balance.and that's about it.   You can order something online and use Paypal Credit as your source of funds, BEING SURE YOU DO THIS RIGHT WHEN  YOU GET TO THE PAYPAL SITE TO COMPLETE YOUR PURCHASE, and then it will come out of your lovely $2000..  I somehow goofed this up the first one or two times I tried it, until I found out I should always check out by first clicking on REGULAR Paypal to pay, and then logging in as though I am paying with Regular Paypal (be brave),   THEN don't miss the choice to "change payment method" and click on the choice to Pay with Paypal Credit instead.  I somehow goofed up the first one or two times I tried to check out and it accidentally got charged to my checking account I don't remember what I did -- but I was soooo mad.  But I've since learned to use the method above, and often use the credit account for online purchases.

Also, If the purchase amounts to over $100, Paypal will even automatically put it on "6-months no payment, and no interest if paid off completely within 6 months,"  I like this feature.  

To go with my Paypal Credit Account, I did get a Paypal Credit Card which is a very plain-looking credit card that only has four numbers printed on it for your account number.  It is practically no good around here (in Rhode Island) since the only store I know that accepts it is Home Depot, and possibly Lowes.  No other store I know of.  So purchases from only these stores can be charged to my Paypal Credit Account.  So actually, both my Paypal Credit Card and my Paypal Debit card sit in my billfold with practically no place to go.

However, it is nice having the Paypal Credit Account when checking out online.  

Good luck!  Try not to overspend!

Signed,

Big Spender

Login to Me Too

PaperCraftLady
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for clearing this up!  However, you can only use the Paypal Credit when you order online IF the merchant accepts Paypal, I guess.  That probably goes without saying.  Does Paypal have competition out there?  I think I'll google that now!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.