paypal here abroad

dora1982
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am from UK and we are going to USA for a trade show. I understand from researching (see below) that I cannot use the device abroad. What should I do? Please advise.

Can I use my card reader abroad?

The card reader cannot be used while traveling internationally. You can only use PayPal Heretm within the country where your PayPal account is registered.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Dora

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@dora1982 wrote:
Thank you! Do I need to have a bank account in US dollars to apply for a Paypal US account please?

It is not easy to apply for a bank account with a US bank,unless you are a US citizen,permanent resident or foreigh student with student visa,or work visa.

Also to open a US Paypal account,they will ask you for your social security number which you do not have.

Login to Me Too

juniperific
New Community Member

Has a better answer for this emerged in the last few years?

I'm in exactly the same position – going to a trade show in the US, would like to take payments, have added a $ section to my PayPal account.

A

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Check with PayPal customer sercvice to make sure you basic PayPal account is set up to work in the U. S.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You will have to come to the States,open a PAYPAL account,open a bank account,these days it is hard for a foreigner to open a US bank account  .

wHICH trade show are you attending,ask the organiser if there is any way you can accept credit cards?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There is a roundabout way,I have never tried it-

go to your UK paypal account and under security/travel-enter USA,so Paypal security knows you will be accessing your paypal account in USA.

When you are at the tradeshow,borrow a laptop or PC,when a buyer expresses interest in buying your products with credit card,get his email address and send him a paypal invoice.

he can use your laptop to access his PAYPAL account and pay you,or he can do this as a guest.

Now the payment wil be in US dollars but your PAYPAl account is in UK pounds,so Paypal wil convert (2.5% plus real time exchange rate),then the regular paypal fee applied (transaction plus discount 3.9 %).

Or you can set up your Paypal account to accept US dollars and kept in your account in US dollars to avoid the conversion fee .

If your buyer does not want to use your PC or laptop,he may be able to use his smart phone or go home and then pay you on his own PC,but then he cant take the goods with him until he gets home and paid.

Or he can find a PC at the tradeshow and make payment there and come back to receive his goods.

Dont know it it works,talk to your trade show organiser,they may have some suggestions for you

Login to Me Too

We have a small uk registered business. But most of our sales will be done online and at festivals/events in uk but mostly in europe. 
If we take the paypal here card reader to europe will it work and accept payments? as our paypal business account it set up to take pounds and euros.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

dont know much about card reader in UK or Europe,you need to ask Paypal IF THE Card reader will function outside UK.

Trade show organisers have resources /services ,you may want to ask them as well-the last time I attended a large tradeshow,they have spare PC,translators,freight forwarding services outside coffee lounge set up for foreign visitors.,also currency exchange. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.