paypal double charge

cloudtec
Contributor
Contributor

yea i know i already did the research but still have not found an answer

so im going to ask again for the people that did not get the answer yet

so here is my situation. i have monitered this the whole time btw.

my paypal account balance this morning was $0.00. about 5 hours later i sell and item for $160. 

so now my account is at $155.00. $5 paypal fee. whatever take it have it!!!!

now the day before i purchased a cup of coffee, gas, and shipping labels for items to ship.

my paypal account had enough money to purchase coffee, gas, and shipping labels my account had $33.00

coffee -$3.00 pending, balance = $30.

gas -$20.00 pending, balance = $10.

shipping labels  -$10.00 pending, balance $0.00

balance is $0 sold item $160 - $5 for paypal fee

balance $155.00

right about now is when the pending completed for the transactions i made yesterday

and i have not purchased anything else yet, so my question is how did my $155.00

turn into $122? these items were subtracted already and why is it that it subtracts again?

i also check my balance on my phone before i purchase something. 

i also bank with chase, and i also check on my phone before i purchase with my chase debit

but i dont have any problems with them at all. i never heard of that ever. why am i being charged twice??

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately as this is a member to member help group, we are "not" the same as customer support.  As no one here can actually take a look at your transactions history records all we can do is suggest that you contact the people who can.  You can contact customer support via email, phone or through Twitter @AskPayPal or via Private Message on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/PayPal

Login to Me Too

cloudtec
Contributor
Contributor

i have contacted paypal customer service for this issue multiple times. they think im crazy and dont know what im talking about and they say, "oh, yea, we know its sounds confusing etc." why is it confusing? im not confused, i am being charged twice.

Login to Me Too

pegifer
Contributor
Contributor

This info is from three different employees of Paypal Credit. There is a glitch in their system where when you make a payment, it will take the payment twice.  This is not an isolated incident - it is quite common.  Further, it will take over 10 days to reimburse you for the duplication.  You have to wait on your money which was deducted without authorization.  What is it called when someone takes money without authorization?  Hmmm - what is the word for that?  Theft?

Example - 50 customers make $100 payments.  Paypal collects $100 twice each - $5,000 too much.  The customers have to wait over 10 days to collect their $100 back while Paypal collects interest on $5,000 for that same 10+ days.  Quite profitable for them.

Login to Me Too

theJeidDragon
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing has happened to me twice -- the most recent happening this weekend. 😠

I get double charged for a single purchase, and then won't have access to MY MONEY for a week or more. In my opinion, THIS IS THEFT and a very NEGATIVE point for PayPal. I earn a very limited amount [$] each week. I cannot afford to wait a week or more for that extra $20 or so that was supposed to cover nessessities. I depend on my money being in my account when I need it.

I have been spreading the word as much as I can about this theft, and I am considering dropping PayPal for straight-up "guest checkouts" when making online purchases. So much for $ecurity.

Beware PayPal users, PayPal double charge is real.

P.S. While sifting through the vast number of other similar complaints/questions/calls-for-help on this community forum about double charges, I have noticed a trend of so-called "Volunteer Advisors" not really helping anyone's situation. [A lot of these inquireies never recieve an answer at all.] More often than not, these "advisors" are asking dumb questions or twisting the situation making the inquirer look incompetent/confused. If not that, then it's a simple "you're too dumb to ask that question here - go to customer service for help."

Examples:

"Unfortunately as this is a member to member help group, we cannot resolve issues such as this however, customer support can.   You can contact them via email, phone or through Twitter @AskPayPal or via Private Message on their Facebook page athttps://www.facebook.com/PayPal"

"If you have been charged x2 then contact the seller and ask them to refund x1 of the payments."

First call your bank and see if they can re-call the second payment.

Failing that contact customer services via contact in your paypal account summary OR >>

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter."

"What is the pending transaction?  Based on limited information, my guess is that transaction is the problem and needs to be fixed first."

Each issue is separate.  I don't think the details of your problem are identical to the details fo the OP. 

In any case, if you want help, you will need to provide the specific details of your transactions and why you think there is a problem. Of course, for a quick solution, you could call PayPal customer service."

"I would need to see the chronological dated list of transactions and daily balances to figure out what is going on.

For now I could only receommend to stop spending money until you get your account and your finances in order.  There are too many minor transactons."

"Contact PayPal customer service.  We can't access accounts here.  Click Contact on bottom of page or Via Facebook it Twitter."

"Are there 2 separate transactions in you PayPal activity list?

What are the details and explanations listed?

Was the payment supposed to be from your PayPal balance?

What are the details of the bank transactions?  You should see those when you view your bank online account.

That helps for the bank transactions.

What are the details in the PayPal transaction?

Also, how did you pay for the transaction?

I'm trying to figure out the relationship, but the details are essential."

(This one is a partial quote.) "In future, make sure your fund ARE available in your bank account when needed; don't keep you balance so low."

Really?

In the examples above, the inquirer was very clear what the issue was, "I am being charged twice." Period. No confusion.

"I'm saying I was charged twice.

First time was the original payment

Second time was an unauthorized second payment of the same amount."

Someone had to voice this, so I'm pointing it out:  PayPal users, honestly, you most likely won't find any real help here.

Sorry. 😞

Login to Me Too

theJeidDragon
Contributor
Contributor

Update:  I recieved my package 5 days after I placed my order. The payment has obviously cleared.  ...So WHY is PayPal STILL holding my money [i.e. unauthorized duplicate charge from said purchase] ?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

They're holding the money temporarily because either you filed a dispute or they're reviewing the transaction. Look for an email from PayPal with more information about this transaction.

Or call PayPal customer service regarding the specific issue with your account.  This is a user to user forum and we do not have the ability to access people's account here to troubleshoot.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.