my paypal message emails to me are coming in chinese or some asian language

dansmith56
Contributor
Contributor

I received 2 email messages from pp today about incoming funds and both were in Chinese or some other Asian language. Are these payments OK?

Have my account been hacked?  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Michelle

Hello @dansmith56!

PayPal is a cookie dependent website, and it is possible from time to time that one can be corrupted. This can often cause the PayPal account itself to change the default language, which will cause email notifications to be sent in that language. 

A good rule I like to share with customers is if it is important for us to email you about, there will be record of it in the PayPal account. Do not use any links in the email and go directly to our website to log in. If the account is in English and there are no record of the payments in the account history, then the payments are most likely fraudulent. However if the account shows in Chinese, then we would advise you to change the language and password just in case. If you do not speak Chinese, then navigating the website is obviously an issue. After you log in, look at the top right of the screen for a cog symbol (Account Settings). On the next page, look to the left and there will be two boxes/sections. At the top of the bottom box is a dropdown where you will be give the option to change the language. You will need to log out and log back in for the website to show the change. 

On the same Account Settings page, there will be a tab that says "Security". There you will be able to change your password and security questions if you have any account security concerns. Depending on if the emails are indeed fraudulent, running a virus scan wouldn't hurt either. 

I hope this helps, and welcome to the PayPal Community Help Forums! 

Michelle

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.