claim on a purchase from 5 months ago

nancybrekke1
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an authentic Louis Vuitton Keepall on EBay 5 months ago. The buyer has used this purse for the past 5 months and now tried to sell it on Ebay and they removed the listing. She filed and paypal claim and now I am supposed to refund her after she sends the luggage back. It is almost 1000.00!!

This is not a fake piece of luggage, and she has had it for a long time and now wants a refund? I see on ebay she has purchased other Louis Vuitton items. I cant believe that after 5 months they are siding with the buyer! What if I get it back and its not the same piece or damaged? I am just sick!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There are serious risks you accept when getting paid with PayPal as PayPal allows a buyer to file a disptue for up to 180 days.  It's important to understand these policies so you are aware of the potential financial risks.

In this case, assuming the buyer files a dispute for item not as described you then responde to the dispute with all of your arguments, just like a lawyer would do.  The buyer has 20 days to escalate to a claim (you can also).  If the buyer wins then the buyer will need to pay for return shipping with tracking AND signature confirmation to show delivery.  You can then appeal.  Outcome is unpredictable.

Login to Me Too

nancybrekke1
Contributor
Contributor

I first received a email stating it wasnt received, (this morning), once I replied with tracking and it was signed for she escalated a claim right away saying it was fake. I honestly am still is disbelief.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Didn't you get a notice from PayPal stating that the dispute was filed?

Didn't you get an option from PayPal to provide a response?

Did you receive the item back?   Did you sign for it?  You statments don't make sense.

What is the status of the PayPal dispute now on your PayPal Resolution Center?

Login to Me Too

nancybrekke1
Contributor
Contributor

I sold this piece of luggage 5 months ago. She filed a claim today saying she did not receive it. I replied back with tracking info and signature information that she did receive it. She then escalated the claim stating it was fake with in minutes of me responding. Since she claimed it was fake they sided with her and she now has to ship back to me. She has had and used for 5 months. This all happened today. I have not received back yet but will have to refund her money once I receive back. I am shocked that after 5 months of use someone can file a claim, change their story and be able to send something back after use for 5 months. Hope that makes more sense. Thank you

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

5 months is not at all shocking as it is within PayPal policies and the buyer may be very smart, savvy, and knowledgeable about PayPal polies.  The party with the most exprience and knowledge has the best change of prevailing.    

I don't understand how the buyer could change the dispute from not received to not as described.  The terminology is reall y important.  Was the dispute filed officiallya s not recevied or was it just email dispute?  Did you have signature confirmation of delivery as required?  If not, then you would have lost a non-receipt dispute.

On the first filing of a not as described dispute, PayPal gives the seller a chance to respond.  Details should also be on your dispute resolution page.

At this point I suggest you make an urgent phone call to PayPal support for more information.

If the item is returned the buyer will need to pay for signature confirmation, so you have a little suport there.

Just be aware that the buyer could also file a credit card disptue up to 180 days.

Collectibles are extremely high risk for sellers.

Login to Me Too

nancybrekke1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your information.

I received the item back today and she delicately used it for the past 5 months, the piece is damaged and marked up.

I was on the phone with PayPal right away. They see how she changed her claim from not received and once i added signature confirmation verification info she filed a claim as not authentic. It is very frustrating that customers can get away with this. Now I am out almost 1000 and have a non saleable piece of luggage. I see the item must be returned in original condition but it is not! I called but I am not sure what else to do. How frustrating!!

Login to Me Too

nancybrekke1
Contributor
Contributor

That should read definitely not delicately .

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.