Wrong Card Charged

LadyIvy86
Contributor
Contributor

I changed my preferred method of payment last week and received an e-mail confirming that. After that I placed my order using paypal for payment only to find out the following day the wrong card was charged. I changed the method of payment because I didn't have enough money in the old account. I made 2 charges to which I now have to pay 2 overdraft fees because again the wrong again was charged. I received a confirmation that the preferred method of payment was changed and it doesn't say anywhere that it takes a certain amount of time for the change to be processed. So at this point I have to pay $70 in overdraft fees because the wrong card was charged on my paypal account. Is this an ongoing error? I've seen other people have similar problems, but I even checked my account to make sure the right card was assigned.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

When you got to the payment page what specific payment options were offered?

What specific payment method did you select at the time?

Selecting a payment method at time of payment is critical.

PayPal has to right to change a payment method if one you select has too much risk for PayPal.

No here knows the details of the your PayPal account and past activity/disputes.

Login to Me Too

LadyIvy86
Contributor
Contributor

It was a payment through google which only allows payment by paypal. It doesn't give the option of multiple cards it just pays with the paypal account. When I selected a specific card as my preferred payment that should have been the card that was charged. I don't think I've ever had a dispute with paypal before because this is the first time I've had a problem with them. However $70 worth of fees because the wrong card was charged is pretty significant in my mind. I removed the other card from my account completely at this point because I don't want it to be touched. This is a problem with paypal though because that's how the payment was submitted. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I found this in the PayPal polcies (Legal Agreements below).

"There may be times when your preferred payment method cannot be used, for example, if you select a credit card that has expired.  Also, the availability of certain payment methods may be limited based on that particular seller or the third party website you are using to complete the transaction."

The website where you purchased may not have allowed your preferred card, so PayPal defaults to your account or backup funding bank.

Login to Me Too

barb34769
New Community Member

The same thing just happened to me. I found out my bank account charged me $35 because Paypal used the wrong card. Isn't the anything that can be done? My $15 purchase cost me $50. That sucks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.