Will PayPal put a hold on money reciecved from a bank account payment

Angie820
Contributor
Contributor
I have a buyer wanting to pay with her bank account. Is there any hold on that on my end as a seller ?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
When somebody pays you with PayPal they can choose any funding source they have associated with their account, be it PayPal funds, bank account, or credit / debit cards. So it's very common for people to select their bank as a funding source, and this shouldn't have any direct baring on whether there would be a hold.

In general, though, there could be a hold place depending on a number of variables like the type of product sold, the history that the buyer and seller have with PayPal, the amount of the transaction, and a number of other things. So while the use of a bank account shouldn't trigger a hold on its own, there could be a hold for some other reason.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. This is a common practice in the payment processing industry. Make sure you always include tracking information in PayPal for transactions that required shipping of product, and the hold should be released before too long.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It depends.

First, payment from the buyer's bank account may be pending for several days until the funds actually clear the senders bank account.

Go to the transaction details page on your computer.  It will indicate if the payment is completed or pending.

If the payment is completed, then PayPal may then place a separate hold in the funds restricting you use of those funds; this wold be 21 days for a new seller.

Click on "Legal" at the bottom of the page and then User Agreement.  There is an entire section which explains why holds happen and long they last.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.