Why am I being charged $60 for a $34.88 purchase?

BTheGusto
Contributor
Contributor

I bought gas on the 27th of March in the amount of $34.88 and my DEBIT card was charged $60, the receipt only shows a charge for $34.88 not $60. If whoever does this should show on the receipt a charge for $60 and not $34.88, I think this should be illegal. The transaction is still in a PENDING status 2 days later and neither shell or paypal say they can do anything about it...I want my money back.  With a debit card if you try to buy more than what you have it is declined so then why the hold on our money??? I could see this sort of thing on a credit card but not a debit card.  Is there anything I can do to lobby this stupid, inconvenient, lame and frustrating thing of someone taking more of my money than what from the amount of the  purchase price is/was. And they should have to disclose on our receipt that they are taking $60 and not the $34.88 like I thought they were going to take for the $34.88 item I bought and paid for.  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Drew

Hi @BTheGusto

That is certainly a great question and I can see why this would cause some confusion. When making a purchase with gas, they do have the ability to authorize up to $100 on a card to make sure you have enough money to cover the purchase of gas. Some merchants will do less. When the charge finally completes, it will only bill you for the amount you paid so you won't have to worry about this charge for much longer if it hasn't already cleared. 🙂 

- PayPal_Drew

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.