Who else has found that PayPal Buyer Protection is worthless?

wmhjr
Contributor
Contributor

Made a sizable purchase from a Auto Parts vendor.  The parts were large body parts, such as fenders, bumper, etc.  The order was shipped in 3 shipments, with shipping costs at almost $300 and part of it shipped by Freight (18 wheeler).  First delivery arrived, parts were just thrown in a box with not a single piece of padding or packing material, resulting in them slamming against each other and damaging one.  Contacted the seller (RockAuto) only to find that they only responded to web inquiries, and starting getting what were clearly "form responses" which had no bearing.  Decided to wait until the remainder of the order arrived for next steps.  A week later, a semi shows up and drops off the final part of the order.  No damage on any of the boxes in ANY of the shipments.  However, the rear bumper that was ordered was never received.  Packing list showed it, but it was not included in the shipping.  Again tried contacting the vendor, who gave yet another form letter response to "take pictures of the damage so that a claim against the freight company could be made within 5 days".  How do you take a picture of an undamaged box and a missing item that was never packed?  Started a dispute through PayPal.  Then got an email from RockAuto saying they refused to even review the issue until I closed the PayPal dispute.  Contacted PayPal to inform them, and was told it would be escalated to a claim and to not worry about it.  At the conclusion, was finally told by PayPal that I could get a refund if I shipped everything I got at my own cost back to RockAuto.  Other than that, they are closing the case.  Worthless in my opinion.  So me to actually ship back would likely cost me at least $400 - and tons of time.  So, best case, weeks, and $400 and I "might" get my $800 back?  But still then have none of the parts?  PayPal should call this "protect fraudulent sellers".  Anybody actually have any success with this IMHO falsely described "protection"?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Numb3rs
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely worthless. I've got payments being held right now, in which the buyer HAS ALREADY FINALIZED THE TRANSACTION AND LEFT ME POSITIVE FEEDBACK, and yet PayPal is STILL holding the payment for an additional 4 days. This is absolutely asinine. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.