What's the point of a dispute/claim or having a verified business account?

ClosingAccountt
Contributor
Contributor

What is the point of a claim/dispute + verified business account?

I just lost a dispute over $20 for item not as described - to an unverified account from Serbia.

##The situation
Purchased a website theme, theme didn't work, seller took a week to respond via their support forums. The seller provided extra code to try and fix their broken product and needless to say, it made things worse. Took down a website with 5 years of up time prior to installing this theme. 

Clear case of 'not as described' - Looks nothing like the preview and doesn't even function. 

I reached out to my normal contractors to which they all responded with "This is broken and badly written; Please ask the developer why"

So I did - Seller offers a refund, I accept, days pass, no response - So started a dispute/claim.

The moment I did - The seller deleted the support thread, limited my account,
then responds to the claim with "You can download the new/fixed version"

This is a clear case of someone attempting to cover their tracks and even
submitted video proof of being unable to download anything contrary to the sellers comments.

I also submitted video of the installation which fails & screenshots of statements from 7 different contractors/developers that they wouldn't touch it/it's not worth fixing/bad code.

If that isn't a clear case of "Item not as described" then I don't know what is!! Needless to say - PayPal doesn't feel the same way.
## End Situation

This leads back into my original question. What is the point of a claim/dispute + verified business account?

I'm closing my account since I'll be getting around 80k from investors by Friday and there is NO WAY I can trust making larger business purchases when PayPal can't even handle a small $20 claim properly. God forbid I make my intended 3k - 5k purchases and the product has ANY issues.

Knowing PayPal they'd just be like "Sorry, nothing we can do."

With what I said above; Anyone can create some trash, sell it, and not fear any retaliation from PayPal. As long as it's digital, right? Right.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

ClosingAccountt
Contributor
Contributor

Note: This isn't a rant. I'm legitimately asking what the point is. There seems to be zero benefit from having upgraded, verified, added business banking information, etc when a 17 year old kid from Serbia with an unverified account can effectively game the system.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.