What is "Withdrawal PAYPAL INST XFER"

dsboy9x1995
New Community Member

What is Withdrawal PAYPAL INST XFER and why it charged me $2.58, i didn't pay anything for $2.58

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

JR49

I've checked on this in the past by calling PayPal. They explained that many companies use PayPal as their payment platform. It has nothing to do with your personal PayPal account. 

For example, if you have made donations through a GoFundMe listing, your payment will go through WePay.com who uses PayPal for their platform. When it goes through your account, it will indicate PayPal as the payee. 

Today I found a phone number on one of these and called it. This number was <removed>. I called it and found out through their messaging system that they are a company called WePay that uses the PayPal platform. The instructions were to go to wepay.com/chargeinfo. On that page it asks for your email address and the last four digits of your card account it was on. Then, they immediately send you an email letting you know if it the last 4 digits appeared in any charges in their files. Within minutes I received an email with the site name, merchant and description with six of these. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@SherrieW wrote:

I just had 3 of these totalling $38.75 to come out of my bank account and do not remember authorizing or doing any of them.. 

if lohern is right,then you must have a Paypal business debit card,and you have been using it?

if so,go to your paypal account/paypal debit and see for yourself

Lohern,

there are complaints that Paypal is not pulling the money out of bank account,if there is not enough in your Paypal account,then. the card is declined

Login to Me Too

LohernMowher
Contributor
Contributor
So it's not a CREDIT Card, it's PayPal Debit card. And the way it was explained to me, if one has a good track record with PayPal, handles the card responsibly, and MAKES DEPOSITS from time to time, or sells stuff and the money accumulates in the PayPal acct, and the card is used for MORE than what's in the PayPal account, based on PayPal's experience and their algorithms, they may choose to approve the purchase with the card, and hit the "backup funding source” for the difference between what was in PayPal and the purchase. Again, it's not a credit card, so of you make a $1,000 purchase, and you don't usually make that kind of purchase, and only have $14.76 in the account, the transaction will probably be declined. On the other hand, if one makes a $1,000 deposit every few weeks and uses the card to buy something that's a LITTLE over the balance in your PayPal account, then they usually approve the purchase and the balance gets pulled from your backup source, ie, checking account. If the transaction is being declined, it's probably a transaction that's A) unusual - for the customer B) on another occasion PayPal approved the transaction but there wasn't enough in the backup account and they made note of it Or C) not enough deposits have been made to the underlying PayPal account, and the customer is using the account as a CREDIT card, rather than a Debit card that every once-in-a-while buys something with the MasterCard Debit card that -again - goes over the amount on deposit in the PayPal account. Again, it was explained to me - and it's true - that instead of always relying on PayPal to approve transactions that always go over the PayPal balance, make deposits on a regular basis to PayPal. Pay bills with the card. Use it for groceries. Make sure there's enough in your backup funding account to cover the SMALL amount you go over (at first) until PayPal sees they won't get burned by laying out the amount that the transaction went over by, then they go to withdraw from the backup account, and it's not there. No, that won't make them happy, chasing after the amount they approved, only to be out the difference between what one charged and what PayPal approved, believing the extra funds are sitting in the backup account. (BTW that $ amount is the amount that people asked about to start this thread.... They didn't recognize that DIFFERENCE amount)
Login to Me Too

Temp20230531M
New Community Member
I noticed this to in my account which is how I found this forum. Most likely they are from purchases. I found out mine were from Uber. For some reason it just shows up as ach transaction PayPal in my checking account. The ach transactions that ended in "inst" are the tips I left the drivers.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.