We credited too much to your card

photoguy2
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Hi all.

So today I received an email with the title of "We credited too much money to your card.". It is a legit email from PayPal.

The full text is below. Here is the thing, the debit card in question is one used only for Paypal (Yah for credit unions). I checked my statment, and besides several legit refunds for items I ordered but never recived, there are no credits from Paypal, certainly not $44 worth.

So, what do I do? I assume if I don't let them take the money I get sent to collections and my credit is effected, but it's not theirs to take. I've checked at least 5 times. There have been no credits.

Thank you all for your help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Between June 16 and August 5, 2016, PayPal unintentionally posted 2 credit(s) totaling 44.00 USD to your credit or debit card. We need to correct this error by debiting 44.00 USD from your PayPal account on September 2.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this situation may cause. Our teams are working hard to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Please ensure that you have sufficient funds available on September 2 to avoid incurring a negative PayPal account balance. If your account balance becomes negative, you can log in to your PayPal account and, next to your displayed balance, select Resolve Your Negative Balance.

We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter. Thank you for being a PayPal customer""

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Paypal did had that problem with PayPal Debit during those specific dates I can confirm that because it happened to my sister. some transactions were paid using the debit card but not deducted from the balance. 

Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

Did your sister call PayPal about it, to "know" there was a debit problem?

It just all sounds so phony to me.   I'm just wondering how she's sure she wasn't the victim of a scam, too.  😕

Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

photoguy2 ---

How did all this work out for you?  Did you call PayPal?  Were the credits legit?

It sounds so phony to me, so I would like to know.

Login to Me Too

photoguy2
Contributor
Contributor

Sigh.

Well, it wasn't a scam email. Paypal took the money. I looked over my statements at least 5 times, and there was no double credit. 

I even talked on the phone to a rep (who was totally awesome and fun to chat with while she worked BTW. Paypal, you suck, but your CS people are a lot better than they used to be!). She looked over everything and said there were no double credits, and to call them back if the did take the money back out of my account.

Well, they did, and I called back, and they basically said "what's done is done, our system is automated and always right". So I guess it's another case of PP stealing our money and not caring. At least it wasn't a lot *shrug*.

On another note, I switched to square for both credit card and online purchases, and it's awesome. They don't earn interest on your money for 21 days either while claiming it's for protection!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.