Verified Paypal Account Scam

Jaydork
New Community Member

Hello, I haven't found an answer I'm confident in yet after searching through the site.

I am selling my car on CL and recieved a text from a PA number (not that crazy, i work with a lot of people with numbers from states they used to live in)

Asked if the car was available (mentioning by name, not just "the item"). 

I responded

Buyer then asked some quetions about the car, questions that upon review, were not answered in the posting (legit questions?)

After responding, buyer expressed interest, but is busy with "work". He can pay via paypal and arrange for a pick up. Covering all paypal charges. Just needs paypal email. 

My thought was immediately scam. responded with thanks but no thanks, cash only. At this point, from my limited experience, most scams would not respond after that ( could be way way wrong) but the buyer did respond saying they understood, and that they are a legit buyer, as well as paypal verified. Payment will clear, then car will be picked up by "shipping agent". 

So now I'm not sure, a lot of it still screams scam to me, shipping agent, no negotiation over price, and not cash payment. That said, after doing some research, I understand a lot of the paypal scams (wire transfers, over payments, fraudulent emails, etc) but have found very little information pertaining to being scammed by a verified account. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Scam.  Stop communication with the other party.  They are very skilled at what they do.

Before you attempt to sell a vehicle on CL, take some time and learn about the extremely high risks of fraud and scams.

When an interested party does responde and if you want to continue, first demand the potential buyer's name, physical address, and verifiable phone number.  When you advertise make sure you list as CASH ONLY and that BUYER must pickup.  Then ignore strange requests.

Login to Me Too

Jaydork
New Community Member

Appreciate it. I figured as much but it's been a while since I've sold anything on CL or with Paypal and wanted to ask if verified was a norm now. 

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.