Unauthorized direct debit

JoanneHine
Contributor
Contributor
I was recently charged a £100 direct debit from my personal bank account to PayPal. I have gone through all my transactions and can't find anything that would have prompted this payment. My bank are issuing me a refund as it has left my account overdrawn and they can't tell me why this payment was taken. I also can't report it to PayPal as there's no transactions on my account. Surely this is fraud?
Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

file dispute with your bank and tell them you dont recognise this (these transcations),they will bounce it back to where it comes from.

do you guys use your cell phone a lot to do banking and make payments and buy things>

I read there is a way to overlay your application when you go to your bank account or paypal account and it can steal password,etc.

crooks are getting bolder and more siphisticated,instead of stealing data from you when you withdraw fund at ATM,they can hack the bank's ATM network and on a certain day and hour,one of them will stand in front of the ATM machine and collect all the cash which spills out of the machine!

They caught a case in Taiwan,where an Eastern European just stood there and wait for the ATM machine to spit out all the cash it has !   

Login to Me Too

loudav
New Community Member

This has just happened to me, and i phoned my bank and got a recall on my money. Luckily i found this today when it went out. Ring your banks and get your money back as soon as you spot these. And report it even if they cant help you. The Bank gave me a phone number which when searching it, brought me to this thred. 

Login to Me Too

DragonsQueen
New Community Member
I just checked my online bank and had an outstanding payment goingout tomorrow via PayPal... they gave me the details including a phone number and it brought me to this forum... PayPal where no help but thankfully my bank cancelled the DD and refunded the money back and have cancelled any further payment going out 😬😬
Login to Me Too

Spallbags
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

Just spoke with Paypal - the details are actually Paypal's bank account details. If you check your bank statement, it should match up but it's likely that the transaction will show in Paypal long before it does on your bank account statement especially if you select pay after delivery as this means Paypal wait 14 days before requesting the payment from your bank account. 

These payments will show up on your bank statement as a direct debit with a long reference code. 

It's not a fraudulent payment being made and your account has not been compromised (you probably were just horrified how much you spend via Paypal without being fully aware of it - haha)!

Hope this helps! 🙂

Login to Me Too

opheliafox
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, i just checked my bank account and i have had Direct Debit payments going to the very same company  (EMEA BRANCH SUPPORT  CHASESIDE  BOURNEMOUTH  DORSET Postcode BH7 7DA ) for x5 years!!!!!

I didnt know until just now.!

Ive had over £1600 taken in that time!

Have all x5 people who clicked on this post had the same company doing this..?

This is most certainly fraud..! Ive contacted my bank and theyre going to investigate it. 

Has anyone else spoke to thier bank about this..?

What was the outcome..?

Login to Me Too

AJRu
New Community Member

I have had 3 payments taken all for different amounts 2 weeks apart. JP morgan bank supply an 0870 number to call that just gives a recorded message "sorry number called is busy " and hangs up. Same contact details as above.

Login to Me Too

NotAPro

I can also attest to this. I've never set up a direct debit in my life; and today I see that money has been removed from my account from a direct debit that seemingly has arrived out of nowhere, with an amount of £14.55. I contacted NatWest and they just told me to contact paypal support, but they didn't even bother to tell me that a direct debit had been established without my consent. I didn't even know such a thing was possible.

Never heard of JP Morgan EMEA branch or whatever is it in my entire life. I am not sure what to think about this. I guess the least I can do is change all my security information. Strange thing is that I go to Nandos regularly and my order costs £14.55. But never does that establish a direct debit on my account. The payment had a payee reference but I don't know what to do with it. Not really sure if my bank account is safe anymore, but it seems this issue is not new for many and has existed for almost a year now. I guess evil never changes.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

not everyone participates in PAD pay after delivery.

your security on PC or cell phone has been breached,someone knows your bank account and start DD your banka ccount,itis a sophisticated scam,check your security . 

Login to Me Too

Bvttle
Contributor
Contributor

I've just noticed the same issue. The payment was set up as a Direct Debit, With the frequency of Daily, and Set to Active.

I thought it looked a bit suspicious..

Natwest support gave me these details as the DD originator:

ORIGINATOR CONTACT NAME ADDRESS 
NAME: <removed> 
1: J P MORGAN CHASE BANK 
2: EMEA BRANCH SUPPORT 
3: <removed>
4: <removed>
5: <removed>
TEL: <removed>
FAX: <removed>

I have a feeling that this is actually real payments made through paypal, and instead of chosing my Debit card from the list I have chosen to pay with my bank account causing them to be direct debits... Each DD amount is different and theyre at infrequent intervals..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.