Unauthorized Transaction Chargeback

Frawley78
Contributor
Contributor

My paypal is verified and i've been a member since 2007.

The buyer of my virtual service is also verified.

I know this a chargeback scam because I know the person who paid me (not personally, but I did talk to him on discord occasionally). There wasn't any unauthorized access on his account.

He paid me as a personal payment, as there was nothing I had to ship. Payment is now on HOLD, and Paypal is reviewing it.

What are the chances I can keep my money? I completely mentored this guy for over a week and gave him several lessons with my service and now my money is gone? I hope this isn't a huge waste of time. 

Does PayPal check IP logs to see if a different IP was logged at the time of payment? Or are they just going to give him MY money back since im technically not protected? Just seems unfair to me, I just told him to send me payment and he did. He paid with PayPal balance as well, it wasn't with a credit card or anything. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Frawley78

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance. However you risk having your account limited for using this option when you are selling as its against Paypal rules.

If the payment was unauthorised then normally you would be covered under paypals seller protection and reimbursed the funds that were returned to the account holder BUT unfortunately you lost any paypal seller protection because you accept a 'gift or personal' payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.