Unauthorized Transaction - Are the Disputed Funds posted?

Bebe_165
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

I had some recent unauthorized transactions on my PayPal account. I have the app on my phone and was I was able to see these transactions right away. I filed a dispute in the resolution center, and changed my passwords. Currently, my bank account is my preferred payment, so these transactions would be taken out of my bank account. 

My question is: will these unauthorized transactions be allowed to be posted on my bank account even under review? 

This has probably been asked before, but your help is appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Michael

Hi, Bebe_165. I'm sorry to hear there's been a problem with unauthorized transactions on your PayPal account. That's no good, for sure! But, I'm glad you were able to submit disputes so PayPal could investigate and address the situation directly. Here's some information I hope will be helpful.

To see which payment method was used, log on to your PayPal account and click the transaction in your Activity. That will display the Details Page which will show you which payment method was used. Since you mentioned your bank account is set as your preferred payment method, that's likely what was used, but it's also possible funds in your Balance were used or another payment method, depending on what PayPal's System determined was available at the time.

If your bank account was used, I regret it's not possible for PayPal to stop or cancel a transaction, and a request would be sent to the bank if that payment method was used. How the bank responds to any PayPal request is up to them, but most banks debit the funds from an account immediately after receiving a request, whether it's from PayPal or any other source. I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience or frustration.

However, PayPal always covers confirmed unauthorized activity 100%. While it may take some time to complete an investigation, PayPal will take the steps needed to address the situation completely.

I hope this information is helpful. If further assistance is needed, please click Contact at the bottom of the page when you are logged on to your PayPal account, send us a Private Message via Facebook or send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal on Twitter. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

PayPal_Michael

Hi, Bebe_165. I'm sorry to hear there's been a problem with unauthorized transactions on your PayPal account. That's no good, for sure! But, I'm glad you were able to submit disputes so PayPal could investigate and address the situation directly. Here's some information I hope will be helpful.

To see which payment method was used, log on to your PayPal account and click the transaction in your Activity. That will display the Details Page which will show you which payment method was used. Since you mentioned your bank account is set as your preferred payment method, that's likely what was used, but it's also possible funds in your Balance were used or another payment method, depending on what PayPal's System determined was available at the time.

If your bank account was used, I regret it's not possible for PayPal to stop or cancel a transaction, and a request would be sent to the bank if that payment method was used. How the bank responds to any PayPal request is up to them, but most banks debit the funds from an account immediately after receiving a request, whether it's from PayPal or any other source. I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience or frustration.

However, PayPal always covers confirmed unauthorized activity 100%. While it may take some time to complete an investigation, PayPal will take the steps needed to address the situation completely.

I hope this information is helpful. If further assistance is needed, please click Contact at the bottom of the page when you are logged on to your PayPal account, send us a Private Message via Facebook or send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal on Twitter. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.