Type: Cancelled Payment- Refund Pending

yuniii
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all

I recently sent some money through paypal to a friend but she mis-spelled her email address wrong and I immediately cancelled the payment a few minutes after I sent it. (This was back on March 4th). However, although I cancelled the payment, the money was not only deducted from my bank account but the status was set to "refund pending" and the "Type" of action was labelled "cancelled payment from."

Does this mean I lost my money? It's been about 3 days and the money still has not come back. Please help!

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yuniii

Gosh you were lucky, if that mis-spelled email address was valid to another person you 'may' have lost your money Smiley Surprised

However luckily you could cancel so when you cancel a payment those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

You funds should be returned to your PayPal Account Balance - refunds are never right away, depending on the original funding source used it can take up to a week unless a credit card was used - then it possible to take up to 30 days.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yuniii

Gosh you were lucky, if that mis-spelled email address was valid to another person you 'may' have lost your money Smiley Surprised

However luckily you could cancel so when you cancel a payment those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

You funds should be returned to your PayPal Account Balance - refunds are never right away, depending on the original funding source used it can take up to a week unless a credit card was used - then it possible to take up to 30 days.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.