Tracking Numbers Required?

TruckingJohn
Contributor
Contributor

Okay so I know both eBay and PayPal require tracking numbers to be added to transactions made with their service.

Issue is are these supposed to be an actual "tracking" number or can a person just type in anything they want to?

I have made several purchases on eBay and have 4 items that the tracking says the package is still waiting to be transferred to the carrier.

I tried to get an answer from eBay Customer Service but they ignored my question, since it is also required by PayPal I am asking the question here.

If a tracking number is required is the number supposed to be an actual tracking number?  Or in the case of one shipper he admitted to using a non trackable service and just typing in numbers to get around the tracking information requirement.

If it is a POLICY then what can be done about these sellers that circumvent the system with these fraudulent numbers?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

A tracking number has to show delivery.

Login to Me Too

TruckingJohn
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations wrote:

A tracking number has to show delivery.

That is the issue it does not show delivery.  It does not even show the package was received by carrier.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Even though non-trackable, one still get a real customs label number assigned for the shipment (unless you're mailing a letter, not a parcel).  If they put a fake one, the problem resolves itself during dispute case and the tracking can't show delivery.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

TruckingJohn
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

Even though non-trackable, one still get a real customs label number assigned for the shipment (unless you're mailing a letter, not a parcel).  If they put a fake one, the problem resolves itself during dispute case and the tracking can't show delivery.

Is the Customs Number a method of verifying delivery even though the package shows no tracking of any kind, either from receipt for transit or delivery to the mailbox?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The customs number is trackable.

Your seller if he is printing shipping label using Ebay,the tracking number would automatically added to the item listing.

It is not unusual for a seller to print the shipping label and ship later,some ship once a week,some ship daily.

Most ship USPS,UPS,Fed Exp ,DHL,if it is a heavy item,it could be a private carrier.

If seller just made up some numbers,they would not be trackable.  

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is not a must that the seller has to provide a tracking number,some do not use tracking ,like postcards,stamps sellers. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.