There are around 40 "chargeback" cases opened against me :( but it makes NO SENSE

Sam_K-Man
Contributor
Contributor

My friend sent me money using Paypal accounts with names and emails generated from a website (app in her case)... The money did not come from any banks, she said, but her friends and acquaintainces... Paypal claims there are banks behind this money, but can't the name of a single one... I feel like I'm being toyed with. Most of these cases were from a span of 2-3 days, not over months during which I received the money and instantly sent back through Western Union... I simply wanted to help... She would lose over 40% if she withdrew it, if it worked at all.
Why is this happening, what can I do.... Negative $2265 now, $20 fee per each one, what the fudge...

Login to Me Too
118 REPLIES 118

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

this has gone a long way but I still like the guy defending the girl. you go bro!

Login to Me Too

Sam_K-Man
Contributor
Contributor

this has gone a long way but I still like the guy defending the girl. you go bro!

Thanks!! I never had a reason not to trust her... Still don't. And Paypal is a giant company; they can do almost anythign they want and get away with it, I was not born yesterday. I should trust the word "Chargeback" and not a person I've known for years? She still talks to me and ready to prove her side and has to a degree. 

You made me feel better, @ShiraYuki, I like you!

Login to Me Too

Sam_K-Man
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone who actually works for PayPal is reading this - I apologize for blatantly disparaging you, I do not know for sure what is happening. But the fact that... Paypal tried to take the money out of my bank account without warning, that all the chargebacks happened within a few days, not months of the actual transactions, yeah, they made me wonder if these even are indeed chargebacks, and not something hiding under this label. I wish you guys treat other users better than you've treated me. People deserve more info, even if they wandered into the wrong territory.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

People do deserve more information.  So, get it from your friend who started the mess and left you as the victim.  If you got details from your friend you might even be able to get help from regulators to prosecute a case.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Can PAYPAL access our bank account now?

I know in its early years,it did but Paypal is not a merchant account provider ,so it stopped doing so

Did Paypal really reach into your bank account and withdraw $$ or does it just put your Paypal account negative?

Login to Me Too

Sam_K-Man
Contributor
Contributor

I know in its early years,it did but Paypal is not a merchant account provider ,so it stopped doing so

Did Paypal really reach into your bank account and withdraw $$ or does it just put your Paypal account negative?

I was pretty shocked, too... But that's what they did. I expected to deal with collections, arrange some payment plan (fair or not fair, I assume they can hurt my credit history if I don't deal with it). 

See, this is what I had to do, this from my bank statement, $27 more down the drain 'cause of all this:

08/22/2016 
Stop Payment Charge 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Sam_K-Man wrote:

I was pretty shocked, too... But that's what they did. I expected to deal with collections, arrange some payment plan (fair or not fair, I assume they can hurt my credit history if I don't deal with it). 

See, this is what I had to do, this from my bank statement, $27 more down the drain 'cause of all this:

08/22/2016 
Stop Payment Charge 

well,did PAYPAL succeed in withdrawing fund from your bank account?

is there enough fund for them to withdraw?

did you put the stop payment after their attempt?

Do you know this stop payment has an expiration date/

Login to Me Too

Sam_K-Man
Contributor
Contributor

well,did PAYPAL succeed in withdrawing fund from your bank account?

is there enough fund for them to withdraw?

did you put the stop payment after their attempt?

Do you know this stop payment has an expiration date/

Yes, and yes. They took $2302.06 and I stopped that payment. But........... Collections told me this happened because I tried to make a Paypal Credit payment and it automatically deducts ANY negative balance on the account from the bank account!!! What kind of f-ed up system they got here, I don't know any more........... Needs a lot of tweaking. Yeah, I know there is no expiration date. I will have to freeze or close the bank account, open another one for work direct deposit :(. This is a nightmare. Thanks for looking at this objectively, @lancelotme

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The negative balance will stay in your Paypal account until it is paid off, you cant open another Paypal account because they will freeze that one.

And what about your credit score?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I read before that PayPal will not go after a bank account simply to satisfy a negative PayPal account balance, meaning the PayPal cannot access your bank account JUST for the recovery.  (It might be different, however, if there were some illegal or federal recovery process for money laundering.)  PayPal does the alternative method to recover from your checking account if YOU give authorization to the account for some other reason, like paying PayPal Credit; once you give PayPal authorization for the access, PayPal can legally use the to recover your funding debt.

In another scenario, if you were to purchase something from a legitimate seller and you had a negative balance in your PayPal acocunt AND your bank acocunt were used for back up, then PayPal would have access to  your bank accoun and also settle the negative PayPal balance.  (I read about that a week or so on these forums where it happened and an explanation was providied.)

So, if you have a negative PayPal balance, settle it before you do anything that would provide PayPal access to your bank account. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.