Someone tried to set up a fake account with my email. How do I report it?

DoctorGeek
New Community Member

Like most people, I have more than one email address. A while back, I started getting emails at one address telling me to confirm my new PayPal account. The problem: I've had an account for years, through a different email, and have not set up a new account. Also, the emails are addressed to a name that was derived from my email address, but isn't my actual name. Clearly someone has set up a fraudulent account, and whoever it was hasn't actually hacked into my email (if they did I'm sure they would confirm the account and I'd stop getting the emails), but they simply used my address. The emails simply contain a link you can click to confirm the account; nothing to report that it isn't you and they should NOT allow the account. Later I got more emails saying the account was suspended due to suspicious activity and I needed to log in to my account to clear it up. However, logging into MY account isn't going to help! I can't figure out how to report this to PayPal since the only way to contact them is through my own account, which isn't having any problems. I did try sending Customer Service a message from my account telling them my alternate email address and the problems associated with it, but I got no response and the emails are still coming in. What are you supposed to do in this situation?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Have you considered that the emails were fake and were actually scams to get you to confirm an account for the scammer?

What was the REAL email address of the sender, not the spoofed email?

What was the real URL of the link?

If your concerns are about security, an urgent phone call to PayPal should be your first and immediate action.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.