Sending money to Friends and Family

jlieder536
Contributor
Contributor

I've agreed to rent someone's (some I've never met) condo in March and the owner has asked me to send the deposit using Sending Money to Friends and Family instead of the Pay for Good or Services method.  I don't want to send the money via Friends and Family because I won't be covered by the PayPal Buyer protection.

The owner says that if I send the money using Pay for Good or Services method, he said "he won't be able to get the funds and PayPal is going to hold it".

I doubt that's true, but wanted to ask the community.

I feel the renter should just accept payment by the Pay for Good or Services method.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

He is right about the holds as goods/services does expect that the seller will ship something.  It also means you can dispute for non-receipt.

On the other hand friends/family is a gift payment with not expectation of receiviing goods or services (including a rental).

If you are payment you rent you must pay by goods/services if you want to comply with PayPal policies.  It is against PayPal policy to use friends/family for services; you can get your account limited.

Furthermore, the seller is not permitted to charge a surcharge for goods/services.

It seems to me that you really need to investigate this landlord.  It may be in your best interest to find a different rental property.

If you do use this landlord then make sure you have a signed legal agreement and then pay with a check--and get a signed receipt of payment.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

He is right about the holds as goods/services does expect that the seller will ship something.  It also means you can dispute for non-receipt.

On the other hand friends/family is a gift payment with not expectation of receiviing goods or services (including a rental).

If you are payment you rent you must pay by goods/services if you want to comply with PayPal policies.  It is against PayPal policy to use friends/family for services; you can get your account limited.

Furthermore, the seller is not permitted to charge a surcharge for goods/services.

It seems to me that you really need to investigate this landlord.  It may be in your best interest to find a different rental property.

If you do use this landlord then make sure you have a signed legal agreement and then pay with a check--and get a signed receipt of payment.

Login to Me Too

jlieder536
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for quickly reply and sage advice.  I'm going to move on to another Condo renter.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.