Sender of money charging "transfer fee"

dd33
Contributor
Contributor

I receive a payment monthly from a business for contracting work I do for them.

They recently announced that they will be charging a "transfer fee" to receive these funds from Paypal.

It is my understanding that these fees are not permitted by Paypal's TOS.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Those making a payment can charge a fee for the service they provide.  PayPal charges a check fee if you want PayPal to send you a check.  Does this "buyer" of your service offer a way to provide your payment for service by any other meethods?

It's like your "buyer" of service is charging a fee for them to process your pay. 

The fee is not to cover PayPal fees; it is to cover their own accunting or processing fees.

You do have options.

You could raise your fee for the service you provide.

You could search for an alternate no-fee way for your "employer" to send you your salary.

You could find a different employer for your contract.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

they can charge you a fee for taking time to process your payment which is not their conventional payment method,it has nothing to do with Paypal.

but when they send you a payment under goods and services,you also have to pay Paypal 30 cents plus 2.9%.

This is just like you asking Paypal to mail you a check,they charge $1.95 to cu a check and mail it to you.

you can also ask your sender to mail you  a check .

Login to Me Too

LLR
Contributor
Contributor

I believe this is a different situation.  There has been no increase in "time to process payments;" the notice implies that this new charge is in direct response to PayPal's fee increases.

The provider has eliminated paper checks and is now offering an alternative option, which also charges a fee. The PayPal TOS states that a you cannot "impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method." Is that not what this is? 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dd33 wrote:

It is my understanding that these fees are not permitted by Paypal's TOS.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Thanks.

That rule applies to recipients, not senders.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.