Selling my boat - received this email

brapp03
New Community Member

I am selling my boat and received this email.  The boat is $119,000.  I am suspicious that someone would buy it without seeing it.  This sounds like a scam, no?  What is my risk?  Not sure what to do...

Hello, thx for getting back to me, i'm Greg, i'm a subsea engineer and currently offshore...so i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work.i'd appreciate if you email me with more closeup pics for a better look since i won't be be able to see this in person, but i have a mover who is gonna come to your location only after payment has been made and cleared, so i've chosen to have this done via paypal as it's the easiest and safest way to pay online, i have a few questions for you below and i want you to be honest with me

has the engine been replaced? is the vessel and its engine under warranty? has the boat ever been in salt water? are u the original owner? when was it last used? how was it stored in the winter?  what's your firm price? and where are you currently located? and lastly hope you got a paypal acct??

pls get back to me asap.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

It's a possible scam on many levels.  In order for you to be eligible for seller protection, you must be able to ship, track and insure (if appliable) the item.  Since you're not going to mail the boat - there's no seller protection.  Your risk level is too high.  Sell local if possible and suggest not using PayPal for a deal such as this. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Typical scam.

The first sentence tells it all:  Hello, thx for getting back to me, i'm Greg, i'm a subsea engineer and currently offshore

I'm assuming you did not contact this person first so the "getting back to me" is a friendly "clue" that it is a scam.  "Subsea engineer" workign offshore is so rediculous as an excuse; it is a typical excuse for a scam. 

Never respond to these scams as they are first looking to confirm a live email address and PayPal account to use for more scam offers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.