Selling a car

Obrn0806
Contributor
Contributor
I am selling my car and someone wants to pay me via PayPal. I do not know how this works! How do I guarantee I have my money before they drive away with my car?!?!?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Luigi123
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Obrn0806,

Thank you for contacting with us. The way it works is when someone sends you money, the money will add to your PayPal account, but it will not be in your account because you need to go to your email and you will receive a email from PayPal asking you to accept the money or not. Once you accepted, the money will be added to your PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

Obrn0806
Contributor
Contributor
So is it available to me immediately? One thing says it will be available 48 hours after positive feedback, the lady I talked to earlier said that it is available to me as soon as I go in and say that the purchase is processed! I am so confused!
Login to Me Too

Luigi123
Contributor
Contributor

It will be probably not be added to your account immediately, it will take some time for the money to add to your account. Just keep checking everyday and if it's not, I would suggest you email them or phone customer service about it.

Login to Me Too

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

You may want to check the User Agreement for under the Seller Protection section.   As you cannot ship the car via UPS or USPS, it has to picked up in person or delivered in person - there's really no seller protection.   The basic scam scenario for vehicles is, the buyer sends you the money using the Friends and Family option (which you're not aware of), you get the money, the buyer picks up the vehicle and vanishes, a day or so later, the buy contacts PayPal, claims there was an unauthorized transaction, PayPal reviews the transaction - sees it was a Friends and Family payment and in many cases, refunds the money.    Best advice - sell local for cash - everyone wins.

You can take the option to send the buyer an invoice however, the card still needs to picked up in person or delivered - there's still no Seller Protection but, if the buyer is legit and you have documentation of a sale, you should be OK.

Login to Me Too

zerkzis13
Contributor
Contributor

@Snow-Catwrote:

You may want to check the User Agreement for under the Seller Protection section.   As you cannot ship the car via UPS or USPS, it has to picked up in person or delivered in person - there's really no seller protection.   The basic scam scenario for vehicles is, the buyer sends you the money using the Friends and Family option (which you're not aware of), you get the money, the buyer picks up the vehicle and vanishes, a day or so later, the buy contacts PayPal, claims there was an unauthorized transaction, PayPal reviews the transaction - sees it was a Friends and Family payment and in many cases, refunds the money.    Best advice - sell local for cash - everyone wins.

You can take the option to send the buyer an invoice however, the card still needs to picked up in person or delivered - there's still no Seller Protection but, if the buyer is legit and you have documentation of a sale, you should be OK.

Even if you have proper documentation you will not be safe and protected with the seller protection. If you are selling a card please look for a different payment option instead because the buyer might file a chargeback against you and you will be at loss (the sale price plus the chargeback fee of $20.00 USD). PayPal will not cover you for the sale since it is an item that is not protected.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.