SCAMMED!!!! what can I do? Please help

schk
Contributor
Contributor
I feel totally embarrassed and felt like it could never happen to me. But unfortunately I was scammed and now I have a negative PayPal balance of over $5,000! It started when I got a "job offer" as a text proof reader, then after I completed some jobs with that, that job got put on "hold". I was then asked to be come a Representative for a company called eMag. My gut feeling told me not to do it and I emailed and told them I wasn't interested, then I emailed them back and said I was. It involves them selling items on eBay and money going into my PayPal account. When item was shipped and money was released to me on paypal I transferred to my bank. And had to send cash through mail to "Toriana Wellington" in New York. I went through with everything. Then to my surprise something was shipped but not to the person who actually bought the item. Then thI buyer from eBay filed dispute and now I'm left with over -$5,000 in PayPal. Is there anything, ANYTHING I can do??? Please help Thanks
Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

File one with https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

schk
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks. What are you going to do about your negative PayPal balance?
Login to Me Too

211976ds
Contributor
Contributor
I'm not sure. Have you contacted PayPal? Are we supposed to pay the whole thing back at one time? Do you know?
Login to Me Too

schk
Contributor
Contributor
I have no idea. I had a case filed against me from the buyer. I have to respond to case by Jan 6th I believe. I'm going to explain to them what happened. But I bet they will still want he money...
Login to Me Too

schk
Contributor
Contributor
Also, did you file your complaint? What did fill out the financial transaction part of it? And what did you put for Transaction type?
Login to Me Too

211976ds
Contributor
Contributor
File a complain on the website that was given to you. I haven't yet but I will. The Byers (2) didn't file a complaint against me cause I think they were all in on it.
Login to Me Too

211976ds
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. I called he police department in NY and they told me that I had to file a report with my local police dept. so I am getting them all the documents and will file with them as well as the FBI.

Login to Me Too

A444
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, How is this case going for you? I am in the midst of the same situation. However I have not shipped any money yet. I received the money and it's in my bank. I'm being asked to send it, and decided to Google the name I'm being asked to ship it to Toriana Wellington. And all of this popped up. I was feeling it's very sketch when they asked me to ship cash. That sounds nuts. PayPal held the payment for a week and asked for a shipping tracking number which I was provided by email from the eBay seller. I forwarded to PayPal and they released the funds. Which I transferred to my bank and where it is sitting now. When or how can I find out if the customer ever received their item? I do not want to end up in the same predicament.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

So you are at the point when you received the money for the items and you withdrew the money to your bank?  You should put the money right back into your PayPal account and refund the sender with a note saying that you discovered this transaction is a scam that yourself got dragged into to after doing some research.

What is gonna happen is when the seller gets your money, they will ship to a nearby address to the buyer or a rock and buyer file a dispute on your account and you had already sent the money.  So put the money back into your PayPal account and issuer refund or just leave it there and await for their dispute on you to refund.  But why wait, It's better to be proactive and issue the refund and explain what happened and why they won't be getting their item.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

A444
Contributor
Contributor
Will do. How did they provide a tracking number to PayPal? Because PayPal asked for the sellers tracking number for the eBay sale to prove the item was sent. And a tracking number was provided.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.