SCAMMED!!!! what can I do? Please help

schk
Contributor
Contributor
I feel totally embarrassed and felt like it could never happen to me. But unfortunately I was scammed and now I have a negative PayPal balance of over $5,000! It started when I got a "job offer" as a text proof reader, then after I completed some jobs with that, that job got put on "hold". I was then asked to be come a Representative for a company called eMag. My gut feeling told me not to do it and I emailed and told them I wasn't interested, then I emailed them back and said I was. It involves them selling items on eBay and money going into my PayPal account. When item was shipped and money was released to me on paypal I transferred to my bank. And had to send cash through mail to "Toriana Wellington" in New York. I went through with everything. Then to my surprise something was shipped but not to the person who actually bought the item. Then thI buyer from eBay filed dispute and now I'm left with over -$5,000 in PayPal. Is there anything, ANYTHING I can do??? Please help Thanks
Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you respond to the eBay dispute?

Not likely you'll ever recover the funds.

There were so many warning signs but the alure of easy money overwhelmed you.

Passing money around with hopes of a quick return is a sure sign of losing scam.

Login to Me Too

schk
Contributor
Contributor
No I have not replied to the dispute. I knew there was warning signs but they even call you with a real number and interview you. Everything seemed legit in a weird way. Gosh.... what am I going to do?
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Well, you need to look at each dispute and decide if there is anything you can do in defense.

What are the specific disputes?

Based on your summary, however, I suspect that none of the transaction disputes related to goods and services.  On the other hand, we know nothing about the individual transaction disputes, but PayPal would only offer seller protection for goods and services and I assume you totally ignored all PayPal protection polciies.

Login to Me Too

schk
Contributor
Contributor
I didn't ignore the PayPal protection policies. I knew if item wasn't received and the requested refund it would be given back to them weather the money was in my account or not. However, the item that was sold via eBay wasn't on my eBay account, it was on the eMag company's eBay account if you want to call eMag a company.... they just used my PayPal account to get buyer to send money to my PayPal account.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

So the specific PayPal transaction was not for a goods/services?

What are the real details of the transaction?  That's what matters and that's what you haven't disclosed.

Login to Me Too

schk
Contributor
Contributor
Well the item that was supposed to be delivered to the buyer was a birkin purse. But item was sent to a totally different address than the buyers.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you have the purse and did you ship the purse?

Login to Me Too

schk
Contributor
Contributor
No. I'm going to try to explain this again.... I never physically had an item to ship. This so called company let me act as a middle man to handle the money. They clamed that they wasn't able to receive payments from buyers and I would be their representative to take the money and transfer the money to my bank and to withdraw from bank and send cash money to them. They handled the eBay part.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It was a scam.  You did not directly ship anything with the transaction, so you you have no proof of delivery.  This is where you ignored PayPal seller protection requirements as you were not a seller.

I assume the money was sent as friends/family and not goods/services so you have no protection there either.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.