Requested Money is still Pending

BigDreams
Contributor
Contributor
In January I requested two separate money requests on the same day to the same person but despite her stating that she accepted it my transactions are still under the "Pending" file after 18 days!! These transactions are due to a massive argument and this is a refund for something I purchased but have already sent back. She sent me a screenshot as proof but I noticed the transaction ID are different than my requests. I'm getting more nervous with each passing day. Does anyone know if this extended wait is normal or should I be calling my lawyer?
Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Transaction IDs are different for the sender and receiver, so that's not a good thing to go by.

It's odd that it would take this long, though. If you send a payment request to somebody and they actually pay, that request would show paid with an updated payment status. This could be pending, but you would see that it was indeed paid and in pending status. Even then a pending payment should update within just a few days.

If those requests are still sitting there open as if they were never paid then I would ask for more evidence that they actually did pay it. It sounds like they didn't.

Also, if you're simply due a refund, they should use the refund link from your original payment as opposed to paying a request. When you initially pay for the item the seller was charged a fee for accepting that payment. If they refund you that transaction they would be refunded that fee. If they simply pay a request from you, though, not only would they not get a refund of their original fee, but you would pay a fee on the payment you would receive, too.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

BigDreams
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your reply. I too, thought it was quite a long time to wait when I requested the money. She sent a screenshot and no where does it say paid, only request received- pending. Something like this: Pending (My name) .......... (Amount) Request received-pending Completed (Other fulfilled transactions here) I told her that I would not return what I purchased until she accepted my money requests, which I though she did and two weeks ago returned what I bought and she has verified that she has recieved it. Things between us are rocky at best and all I want is my money so we can be done with one another. I message her weekly stating there is still no money and she doesn't seemed concerned. We do have a contract stating the amount of money, the way of recieving it and other details, which she has all agreed to. Is it possible for her to cancel a once accepted money request?
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
You don't "accept" a money request. You either pay it or you ignore it. Did you ever submit an official PayPal dispute through the resolution center? Did did you use as the funding source for the payment?
Login to Me Too

BigDreams
Contributor
Contributor
I did not as I know little about PayPal and I honestly didn't even want to pay this way however she refused to do so any other way.
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
You could go ahead and submit the dispute now. Also, if you paid with a credit/debit card as the funding source you could file a dispute directly with the card issuing bank.

I would reach out to the seller one more time and explain that you are not satisfied with the screenshot she provided since it does not prove any payment was made, and the fact that the requests are still pending confirms they were not paid. I would ask once more for a refund, and you do not see it within 24 hours that you will be opening a dispute with PayPal and/or your credit card company. If she still does not provide the refund, go ahead and with the dispute. As long as you can prove you never received the goods / services you purchased then you should win the claim.

Login to Me Too

BigDreams
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much for your detailed responses. I'm going to do what you suggested and go from there.
Login to Me Too

BigDreams
Contributor
Contributor
I reapproached the person and asked for further proof but they stated they could not take a screenshot as PayPal won't let them for it has their bank information. Then they threatened harassment charges.
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Sounds to me like they're trying to take advantage of the situation. I would file a dispute at this point.

Login to Me Too

BigDreams
Contributor
Contributor
Well here is where its tricky. In hopes of covering my back I made a list of terms and agreements prior to sending the product back, all of which she agreed to and in one of my terms I stated that the amount of money will be paid in full within 30 days via PayPal but must be accepted and processing prior to me sending the product back. I chosen 30 days because PayPal states that it could take 30 days of processing for a substantial amount of money. Unfortunately its only been 19 days now but I'm about to have a panic attack for that seems far too long, especially sense she stated that her last money request only took 7 days to process. She refused to pay any other way than PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.